Sorrows

"Chuck open this damn door" Maddie yelled practically pounding the bolts off the door.

Chuck had locked himself in his Palace Penthouse for almost a week now. The maids confirmed he was alive because the dishes they left outside of his room were empty by the next meal.

Otherwise no one would know if Chuck Bass was okay.

"Chuck c'mon it's your dad's funeral today" Nate pleaded.

They could hear someone rummaging through the room on the opposite side of the door.

"Let's go" a very drunk Chuck said as he opened the door a minute later. He was in a suit and looked quite presentable expect for the fact that his eyes were blood shot and his hair was a mess.

He wreaked of booze and marijuana.

"Help me get him into the limo" Nate said wrapping an arm around one shoulder. Maddie followed in suit.

The two tried to help Chuck walk in a straight line all the way down to the limo which was waiting outside.

Once successfully inside the limo Maddie and Nate tried to figure out why he was so drunk in the first place.

"What made it a good idea to drink before your father's funeral?" Maddie asked.

"I can drink my sorrows away. Mind your own business" Chuck slurred.

"Dude we all called you for like a week now" Nate interjected.

"I wanted to be alone"

Nate and Maddie looked at each other. They knew it was going to be a long day. Just then Maddie's cellphone rang.

"Dad? Yes I'm with Chuck..... We will be there soon......Okay bye" Maddie said before ending the call.

"Chuck, Lily is worried about you. You need to sober up" Maddie warned.

Chuck just looked at her blankly.

"What has gotten into him?" Nate asked Maddie in a whisper. She shrugged her shoulders.

The limo arrived at the church. Maddie and Nate tried their best to help Chuck look like he wasn't a staggering drunk at his own father's funeral.

"Maybe we should have left him at the Palace" Nate suggested.

"It's his own father's funeral. He needs to show his respects" Maddie countered.

"Respect? My father wasn't showing much of that in his final days"

"What's he talking about?" Nate asked.

"Who knows let's just get him inside" Maddie said still clinging to the one side of Chuck.

They began to walk down the hill when Chuck caught sight of Dan. He ran from both of their grips and charged him in a drunken stagger.

"Hey! What the hell are you doing here?" Chuck asked quite loudly.

"Excuse me?" Dan asked.

"He's just upset" Maddie said trying to calm the situation down immediately.

"Now is not the time" Maddie whispered to Chuck.

"What are you doing at my father's funeral?" Chuck asked once more. "You'd think he'd want you here?" Chuck asked gripping Dan's collar.

"Enough Chuck" Maddie said once more.

"Chuck if this is about the article, you know I didn't write it" Dan said looking at Chuck and then at Maddie.

"Do you think I care about your failed attempt at investigative journalism?"

Chuck leaned into Dan's ear whispering something inaudible to Maddie or Nate.

"What Chuck look I'm sorry about this..." Dan said.

Lily and CeCe came running over immediately with Serena right behind them.

"Chuck, Dan has been helping us unlike you" Serena said annoyed.

"Helping us? Do you have any idea what his family has done?" Chuck said.

"Chuck enough" Maddie sternly said linking arms with him and whisking him away from the scene he had caused.

Maddie plopped Chuck in this first pew before finding a spot next to her dad in the pew behind him.

The funeral was short and soon they were all heading back to Lily's for some food. The elevator ride up Maddie tried to prep Chuck.

"Just sober up like it's the first time you came home drunk. Your dad couldn't even tell you had been drinking in the Captain's library" Maddie said. Nate let out a chuckle.

"Just let me do my business in a corner" Chuck said as he staggered out of the elevator.

"At least eat something" Maddie whined but Chuck had already moved on with a glass in hand.

"You love him don't you?" Nate asked Maddie.

"It's complicated. I hate him for what he did but at the same time I can't help but feel for him. We both grew up without mothers and ruthless working fathers. I can relate to what he feels right now" Maddie said.

Nate grabbed Maddie in a hug.

"You don't always have to be the strong one" Nate whispered.

"It's a great distraction from life" Maddie said before leaving. She didn't want to be there any longer.

Later that night Maddie was settled in bed practically asleep when the shifting off the mattress startled her.

She turned over to find Chuck sitting on the edge.

"What are you doing here?" She asked sitting next to him. He instantly leaned into her body clinging to her arm.

The two eventually laid down in her bed. Maddie laid awake, unable to sleep until her body could no longer keep her eyes open.

When the morning sun peaked through the curtains and Maddie opened her eyes expecting to see Chuck Bass in bed. Instead a note replaced his body.

M-
Don't coming look for me
             -C

Maddie couldn't help but feel worried for Chuck. Trouble would catch up to him.