It's Over

Maddie and Chuck spent Christmas break in the Maldives. Soaking up the sun, having fancy romantic dinners. Time away from work, school, the city... everything.

While it was nice to be away Maddie had just felt like something in New York was waiting for Chuck.

The two were at the penthouse at the empire unpacking from their trip when Nate came home.

2010, a new year, a new decade and new relationships.

Nate had moved in with Chuck and had also started unofficially seeing Serena.

"Hey you two look tan. How was the Maldives?"

"Perfect. It, however, is nice to be back in the city" Chuck said.

"Speak for yourself. I could have used the warm weather and bright sun for a few more days" Maddie joked.

Maddie went to put back the jewelry she had packed on the display stationed on the dresser when she noticed a locket with the letter E on it.

Not wanting to push any issues as they had just gotten back from a great vacation, Maddie decided to leave it alone knowing Chuck would tell her when the times right.

"I'm going to see Serena. See you guys later?" Nate called out as he left the apartment.

"I actually have business to attend. I'll be back later as well" Chuck said throwing on his coat and kissing Maddie's temple. She smiled waving goodbye.

She figured it was best to use this time to have the apartment cleaned and rid any evidence of two young males living here. Chuck and Nate weren't the cleanest of the friend group.

Maddie searched around the apartment for the cleaning companies number when she came across a paper with no name only numbers creating a phone number.

Curious she called the number with her cellphone.

"Hello? Charles are you calling me back? Hello? It's Elizabeth" the woman on the other line said. Maddie instantly hung up.

The elevator doors opened and Chuck came in looking for something.

He shuffled through the desk Maddie had just found the paper in.

"Have you seen-"

"This? Who's Elizabeth?" Maddie asked. Chuck turned around and rolled his eyes.

He practically snatched the paper out of Maddie's fingers.

"I was going to tell you. I believe she's my mom. I was about to meet her at the hotel bar she's staying at" Chuck explained. He exited at once with the paper in hand.

Maddie anxiously waited around all night for Chuck to return. When he did she stood up from the chair she was dozing off in to find out what had happened.

"Is she... she your mother?" Maddie asked Chuck. He sat down at the bar taking a shot.

"Even if she is my real mother... she isn't. What's in the past stays in the past. I don't need to know anymore" Chuck said letting the rest of the drink slide down his throat. "She's agreed to leave tomorrow morning and never come back. It's for the best" Chuck added.

Maddie rubbed his shoulders as he poured himself another drink.

"Why don't I go to the ice cream place a few blocks away go get us some and then we came watch a movie" Maddie suggested.

"That sounds perfect" Chuck said placing his free hand over Maddie's who was still resting on his shoulder. She slowly pulled it away to grab her coat and bag.

"I'll be back soon" Maddie called out hopping into the elevator.

She quickly hailed a cab outside and headed to the hotel Elizabeth was staying at.

When Maddie arrived she looked around. It was going to be difficult since Maddie wasn't too sure what she looked like.

"Checking out tomorrow" a woman spoke out to the concierge. Maddie recognized the voice from the phone call.

She anxiously walked up to her.

"Elizabeth?"

"Can I help you?"

"I'm Chuck's girlfriend Maddie. I had a question to ask you"

"I already spoke to Chuck he doesn't want to talk"

"It's not for him. It's for me"

Elizabeth hesitated before walking over to the chairs in the lobby.

"I need to ask you why you left. I, like Chuck, grew up without my mother so"

"I was 19 when I got pregnant. I wasn't ready to be a mother. We had agreed on adoption, Bart and I. When the time came Bart couldn't give him up. He had asked me to marry him. I said no. I told Bart to tell Charles I died during childbirth. I didn't want him to come looking" Elizabeth told.

Maddie looked mortified. Here she had hope his mother was a kind soul who was dealt the wrong card. Instead Chuck's mom was ruthless, worse than Bart ever was.

Maddie left feeling discouraged and upset. On her way back to the apartment she stopped at Duane Reade's to grab to pints of ice cream.

Maddie headed back to the apartment trying to put on a happy face.

"Hey sorry the ice cream place was closed so I had go somewhere else. Did you pick a movie?" Maddie asked walking straight into the kitchen to place the bag of ice cream on the counter.

"Did you meet with her?" Chuck asked furiously walking into the doorway. Maddie bit her lip unsure of whether she wanted to be truthful in this moment. Her silence, however, gave her away.

"You met with her" Chuck said annoyed throwing his arms in the air.

"You had the chance to find out why she did what she did. That's all I've ever wanted from mine"

"Maybe you should stop trying. It's better off that we imagine them dead. It stops all the crazy thoughts and the what if's"

"Maybe I don't want to stop"

"You know all you do is talk and fantasize about your mother. Your father doesn't want you looking for a reason" Chuck shouted.

"You're just jealous. Jealous you're real mother is dead and mine is out there" Maddie shouted back. It was clear Chuck and Maddie were now in a full blown fight with each other.

"Dead is better than abandoned" Chuck shouted back.

"You think I was the abandoned one. Your mother just told me she had remorse on leaving you. Talk about being abandoned" Maddie yelled back.

"You bitch. I didn't want to know. Don't you see the moment you find out the mystery goes away and the hurt comes following"

"It's my dream. Let me live it. God you don't even have a bone in your body that loves someone it's only about work"

"That's how you feel?" Chuck asked his voicing returning to a normal level.

"If you loved me you would encourage me to chase my dreams. That's all I ever do with you" Maddie cried throwing the pint of ice cream at the wall. "ITS OVER CHUCK. I'm done being the support system or the trophy girlfriend. Its over!"

"Maddie-" Chuck protested. She quickly grabbed some things and threw it in a suitcase leaving the empire.

Maddie now had nowhere to turn.

My sources tell me Madeline is walking the streets suitcase in hand. Trouble in paradise M?

Maddie aimless walked around the city until she ended up at Serena's. Maddie knew this is her laser resort.

Maddie took the elevator up and walked into the penthouse.

"Serena?" Lily called out.

"Hi um Lily I know this is too much to ask but... Chuck and I got into a fight. A big one and I was-"

"Come the guest room is this way" Lily said grabbing the girl into a hug.