Chapter 4: Valentine's Day

Moonton Heroes Academy holds an annual Valentine's day ball for its students. There had been a contest called King and Queen of the Night in which winners are determined by the votes coming from both students and faculty members who can submit the names of their bets for up to 10 times. Voting starts two weeks before the ball and the partial number of votes are shown on every big screen inside the campus at the end of each day.

It is the end of the first day of voting and most students are excited to see the first partial results.

Angela screamed her lungs out catching the attention of students in the hallway.

"OMG, Athena!!! I knew it! Both you and Gusion are on the number one spot!!!"

Guinevere hated attention ever since she was a kid but she doesn't really mind right now as she is convinced the numbers will eventually change. I won't end up winning this stupid contest.

She saw Gusion approaching so she turned her back and walked away hurriedly, "I'm going to the ladies' room, Angela."

But before she reached the ladies' room, Gusion is already in front of her.

"Hi." Gusion greeted. Most of the students are staring at them now. They've never seen the two talking.

"Oh, hi." Guinevere's starting to get nervous. What does he want? Is he going to drag me back to the castle now? Is he going to blackmail me or something and tell everyone my real name is not Athena?

Guinevere has thought a lot of things that could happen but to her surprise...

"I just wanted to apologize for how I reacted in class last week. I know you have been avoiding me since then."

Apologize? He noticed I'm avoiding him? Is this a trick? 

"Is this a trick?" What did I just say? 

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" Gusion asked, confused.

"I mean, you were an ass but I didn't really mind. I don't care and I wasn't avoiding you. We're good." Guinevere said avoiding eye contact with him.

Gusion wasn't convinced, but didn't want to argue. "Thanks. Have a great day, Athena. Congrats on being at the top spot, by the way."

"Thanks." Guinevere responded and then excused herself to go to the ladies' room. She locked herself immediately inside a cubicle.

What was that?  A Paxley being nice to me? Is it possible that he really doesn't recognize who I am?

"Athena!!!" Angela knocked on her cubicle's door. "I told you he's a good person."

"I never said he's not." Guinevere told Angela as she opened the cubicle door. I hate all of the Paxleys in the world. She thought.

"I can't wait to see you two together as King and Queen on the dance floor!" Angela shrieked.

"You mentioned you like someone, right? Who is he?" Guinevere wasn't even interested to know and didn't want to be nosy but this is the only topic she knew that would force the android to stop talking about Gusion".

"His name is Chou." Angela blushed and then started telling stories from how they met and how they study together in the library, how she would bring him sandwiches, the list is endless.

The following day at Professor Gord's class, Gusion was surprisingly not late. He was already seated on the chair beside Guinevere's when she and Angela entered the classroom. Guinevere sat on her chair not looking at Gusion.

[Gusion's POV]

There's one way to prove that she's not the Baroque princess. Ask where she's from. But how do I ask that without sounding weird? She's obviously avoiding me. Will she tell me the truth?

"Morning." I greeted her.

She greeted back, looked at me and looked away immediately. "Morning."

"Do you live nearby?" I hope I didn't sound off.

"Why do you ask?" She is obviously not comfortable answering my question.

"Uhm, nothing I saw you walking across the street the other day and was wondering where you're going." Now I sound like I'm stalking her.

"Yy-yes." She answered, looking nervous? She was like this last time I talked to her. Why does she always seem scared of me? Okay enough of thinking she's the princess. The princess wouldn't get scared easily. But the resemblance... no. Stop it. She's not her. But really, where is she now? The guards of the Swan castle told me she never arrived. They most probably lied to protect her but why would she be here away from her brother? She will be safer there than here.

"There's a newly opened ramen house across the street, near where I live. You should try it." I snapped back to reality when she talked again, now looking at me. Her eyes...

"Okay, I will. Will you come with me? My treat." I asked, she smiled and about to respond but someone suddenly wrapped her arms around me from behind. It's Selena.

"Of course I will come with you, baby." Selena interrupted. Athena smiled and then looked away.

Athena and I never spoke again after that day. I'm such a jerk. I honestly don't know how to approach her anymore because she obviously doesn't want to talk to me.

THE BALL

Gusion and Guinevere are leading the number of votes for the King and Queen of the night, but the final announcement will be made during the ball. 

"Where's your Queen Athena?" Alucard asked Gusion.

"No idea." Gusion responded, feeling a bit worried.

"Hey guys, have you seen Athena?" Angela emerged from out of nowhere.

"No." Alucard and Gusion responded in unison.

"Oh no. Where is she? She has to be here. Oh, Granger! You look really great!" Angela greeted as Granger arrived and then excused himself and Alucard and left Gusion and Angela. Chou joined them a few minutes later.

"Good evening everyone! Now's the moment we've all been waiting for." Professor Alice will do the announcement.

Gusion looked around, still no sight of Guinevere.

"Our King of the night is no other than... Gusion Paxley!" The crowd cheered as Gusion went up the stage.

"For the Queen of the night, Athena Asamiya just called and turned down the title." The crowd booed.

The truth is, Guinevere really didn't expect she would win. She can feel that Gusion is sincere on being nice to her but she didn't want to trust him since he is a Paxley. She will never stop hating the Paxleys. She didn't want any photos of her posted online especially with a Paxley. Moonton is a secret academy that has a website and a mobile game that convinced people all over the world that the heroes there are not real. Her family will easily recognize her and then track her down. So she just called the academy and made up an excuse for rejecting the title.

"Don't worry, it's nothing personal. She couldn't be here tonight as she had an emergency. We can't let our King not have a Queen on the dance floor tonight, right? So we're passing on the title to the one who got the second highest number of votes, and that's none other than... Lesley Vance!" The crowd cheered as the two took the dance floor and started to dance. "GusLey! GusLey! GusLey!!!"

"Not bad, they used to date anyway." Alucard told Granger. Granger looked indifferent and just shrugged.

Students danced all night, some got wasted especially Alucard, Claude, Bruno and Chou. Gusion and Lesley were asked to change their clothes into a wedding attire for a photo shoot that will be uploaded to the academy's bulletin boards and website. The ball ended at five in the morning. Gusion and Lesley talked briefly and then Gusion left the campus hurriedly.