Chapter 18: Might and Magic

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

Guinevere's world suddenly stopped spinning. Everything around her became blurry and in slow-mo except Gusion, who was standing right in front of her, holding her hands, looking at her like she's the most beautiful woman he has ever seen. His eyes sparked with pure intentions. She couldn't believe what he has just asked her. She wanted to say yes and kiss him right there in the middle of a busy street; she couldn't wait as if he would change his mind any minute. The thought of having him as her boyfriend excites her, but she was suddenly reminded of the very reason why she was in the City of Scholars, disguised as someone else. She didn't want to keep her secret from him  forever. If she will be in a relationship, she wanted an honest one, no pretensions, no lies. But she's scared of what could happen once he discovers she's a Baroque, the princess who ran away from an arranged marriage with Gusion's own brother. Will he turn her in? Or will he protect her from his own family?

"Gusion..."

"You don't have to answer now, Athena. I don't want you to make a decision without thinking it through just because you were put on the spot. I understand this is new to you and could be a little scary. We can remain like how we are now for as long as you want to." Gusion smiled at her. He was trying to read Guinevere's thoughts through her reaction.

"Will you change your mind if it takes me a while to think about it?" Guinevere asked.

"You're worried I would change my mind?"

Guinevere nodded.

"Never. I will wait until you decide and I will respect whatever decision you make."

"Thank you, Gusion, for being so understanding. I'm just curious though. Why?"

"What do you mean why?"

"Never mind, it's a stupid question."

"Are you asking me why I want you to be my girlfriend?"

"Hmm, yeah."

"I have a lot of reasons. The most obvious is because I like you. So much that I can't stop thinking about you. I just want to be with you all the time. I want us to be official because I don't want you to think that you're just like all the other girls I dated, because you are too precious and I want you to know that."

Guinevere's heart couldn't contain everything that Gusion just said. He was going to continue talking but she interrupted him and hugged him tight.

"Sorry I'm such a hugger. I don't know how to tell you how much I appreciate everything that you do for me." She told Gusion as she rested her head on his chest.

"You're too cute, Athena. Don't be sorry. I like it when we hug and you're welcome." Gusion wrapped his arms around her like he didn't want to let her go.

Guinevere couldn't sleep that night. She kept rewinding in her mind everything that happened recently.

He said he likes me and wanted me to be his girlfriend. What about that girl in the forest? What did he mean when he said he wanted to be sure so he still went to the forest to find her last night?

She hugged her pillow and remembered the warmth of Gusion's body when he hugged her.

Ugh, Gusion Paxley! Just let me sleep!!!

Her phone beeped. She took it immediately from her bedside table to see who texted her. She smiled widely after seeing who the text message was from.

Gusion: Couldn't sleep. Thinking about you now...

She wanted to scream. Why Gusion? Why do you have to do this to me? She thought.

She started typing and deleting, then typed and deleted again.