Chapter 5: The Flat

Guinevere woke up early. It was Saturday morning, the day after the ball. She went straight to the kitchen and opened her fridge. She was so disappointed to see there's no more food, just a can of soda left. Great. She thought. She was so hungry for sleeping for 12 straight hours so she decided to go out and buy something from the convenience store. She washed her face and brushed her teeth. She was wearing pajamas and was too lazy to change. Just when she's about to wear her purple wig, three knocks echoed on her door. Too early for the housekeeper to collect the trash. Who else is going to knock on my door this early? Only the campus admin knows my address, no one else. She tiptoed to the door and peeped through the hole. GUSION?!!! Her heart start to pound. Okay calm down, Guin. Calm down. Think!

"Hello? Athena, you there?" Gusion called from the other side of the door.

The more I act scared, the more he'll think I'm hiding something. He knows where I live now. There's no escaping from this Paxley anymore. This is the only available decent flat near the campus. And for sure he has ways of tracking someone. It's either I face him or leave the academy and go back to the Swan Lake...which I don't want to do. I don't want to be a burden to Lance and Odette.

Three more knocks. Guinevere gulped. Still thinking what to do.

"Athena? It's Gusion. I just came by to check and see if you're okay." Gusion said, Guinevere felt he was sincere but just wouldn't want to trust him.

Okay, I'm letting him in. You want to play a game, Paxley huh. The last time I used my super magic was when I knocked down that mage in the forest. Maybe it's time for practice today.

She hurriedly put her wig on and fixed it in front of the mirror. She finally found the easiest way to put it on after a month of being in the academy. She went back to the door and opened it. Gusion stood there holding a paper bag. He was still wearing a suit that he wore last night from the ball.

"Hi Athena! I hope I didn't wake you up." Gusion greeted.

"You did not. Come in." Guinevere responded, not showing any signs of fear.

Gusion was surprised she let him in. He was expecting she wouldn't even open the door.

"I brought you this. It's from the ramen house you told me about." Gusion showed Guinevere what's inside the paper bag he was holding.

"Oh, thank you! I was just about to go out and buy food from the convenience store. That's so nice of you. I appreciate it." Guinevere responded leading Gusion to the kitchen. She realized it wasn't really that hard to act normal in front of this Paxley, but still not letting her guard down. 

"You're welcome. It's my new favorite ramen now, so thanks for letting me know about it." Gusion responded happily while putting the ramen in a bowl. "Here you go." He handed a bowl of ramen to Guinevere as they both sat. 

"Thank you! Hmm, so how did you know where I live?" Guinevere asked, curious.

"I am friends with the school admin. I got your address from her." Gusion replied, a little embarassed.

"I heard you have a lot of female friends." Guinevere was surprised she said this. Stupid. Why did I say that?

"Oh, uhm, well yeah kind of. I dated a lot of girls in the past, and uhm.." Gusion stuttered.

Guinevere noticed that Gusion is about to explain the "girls" thing and regret she brought it up so she interrupted him. "Hey, you don't have to explain yourself, okay? There's nothing wrong with doing whatever makes you happy. Why don't we eat? I'm so hungry."

Guinevere also wanted Gusion to eat first. She was being cautious. He's still a Paxley after all. Gusion agreed and started eating. Guinevere waited a few seconds before finally eating her ramen. Okay, safe. Nothing happened to him. She finished her bowl in less than two minutes.

Gusion was happy she liked it and asked her.

"You turned down the title. Professor Alice said you had an emergency. Is everything okay?" Gusion asked, worried.

For some strange reason, Guinevere knows he's sincere. She doesn't know why. Maybe he's not like the rest of the Paxleys. I've never really met any of them. I just hated them because of the marriage proposal. Maybe he just really wanted to be friends with me.

"I lied." Guinevere told the truth.

Gusion didn't look surprised. He didn't say anything and waited for Guinevere to continue talking.

"I just didn't want any more attention, that's all. I've been getting a lot since I moved to Moonton." Guinevere continued, it was one of her reasons anyway so there's no harm telling a Paxley about it.

  "I understand. You know, you remind me of someone. Someone who knows what she wants and doesn't want." Gusion looked down and smiled sadly.

SHE? Must be an ex-girlfriend. Guinevere thought.

"An ex?" Guinevere asked, regretting again what she just said. Guinevere shut your mouth! Why do you have to act interested about his trophies?!

"Oh, nope. She wasn't an ex. I met her three months ago now, and I uh... I never had an official girlfriend." Gusion replied. It was the first time he told someone about the princess.

Guinevere is assessing everything that Gusion just said. Three months ago. That was the time Angela said he stopped dating. Guinevere has a sharp memory. She can remember anything anyone said like a piece of cake that's why she's always a top student in class. He must have been rejected by this girl and got brokenhearted that's why he stopped dating? What do I care?

"Is she a student in the academy as well?" Guinevere finally found a question to ask.

"No. I never saw her again after I met her." Gusion said.

Guinevere looked into his face. It was the first time she ever looked at him that long. Angela's right. She thought. He is indeed handsome. But it doesn't change the fact that he's a Paxley. She noticed his eyes looked more worried than sad. His eyes... they look familiar.

Guinevere looked away as Gusion looked up. She changed the subject before the atmosphere starts to get awkward. "Anyway, so, who became the Queen last night?"

"Lesley Vance." Gusion replied.

"Oh, nice. So your photos will be posted everywhere, huh?" Guinevere teased.

"Could've been you in it." Gusion smiled.

"Nah, not my thing, anyway, thank you so much for the ramen, Gusion. I did enjoy it. And uhm, thanks for checking up on me." Guinevere felt her face burn a little so she thanked Gusion again as a cue to leave.

"Anytime! Anyway, I should go." Gusion stood up and walked to the door. Guinevere followed.

  "See you on Monday?" Gusion asked before going out.

"Yeah, see you! Thanks again!" Guinevere waved goodbye before shutting the door. She threw herself into bed and removed her wig. Her mind started wandering...

His eyes look so familiar. He's cute too... NOOO!!! What am I thinking? Is he hitting up on me? I never had a boyfriend. I wonder what it feels like to go on a date with someone, with him. WTF? Seriously, Guinevere Baroque? You ran away from a marriage with a Paxley and now you're curious about dating another Paxley?  Besides, for sure he was like that to all the girls he dated. Don't get fooled. Don't let your guard down!

"Okay." Guinevere responded to her own self.

She didn't leave her flat and watched horror movies all day.