Chapter 24: Wake up!

"Guinevere, we have to go!"

"No, Lance! I'm not gonna leave Gusion behind!!!"

Guinevere's tears started streaming down her face as she watched the Paxley mages and guards capture Gusion.

"It's too late, Guin. We can't save him... not right now. There are dozens of mages out there. If they catch us too, it's all over. We can't save Gusion if all three of us are behind bars." Lancelot tried to convince his sister to leave while they hid behind the trees. They were on the same spot in the forest where Gusion saved Guinevere from the mages when she ran away.

"You don't understand, Lance! They will kill him! I have to do something. He can't die because of me!" Guinevere shuddered in fear as she sobbed.

"They're not gonna kill their own kin. We have to go now!"

"How would you know?! You have no idea what Gustav is capable of! They knew Gusion saved me when I ran away and now I'm his wife! What made you think that wasn't enough reason for that monster to kill him?!"

"You... you two got married?!" Lancelot was shocked.

"There's no time to talk about that now! If you want to leave, go ahead, but I'm not leaving without Gusion!"

Lancelot suddenly covered her sister's mouth. They both looked at where Gusion was held captive. He was kneeling with his hands tied up while being surrounded by the Paxley mages. Gustav arrived.

"Oh hello, ex-brother! Long time no see. This has always been how I imagined our reunion... bittersweet." Gustav walked slowly around Gusion and stopped in front of him.

"You know, you have been such a pain in my ass lately. No, scratch that! Actually since the day you were born! WHERE IS MY BRIDE?!"

"Your bride? I'm quite disappointed. Looks like your spies have been slacking off lately or probably just as stupid as you are." Gusion laughed weakly. His lips are bruised and bleeding from the beating he got when he tried to fight against the mages earlier.

"Oh you think that's funny?!" Gustav punched Gusion in the stomach.

Gusion laughed even more as he coughed.
"You know what's even funnier? YOU! You beating up a tied up man because you know you'll never win if his hands are free. What a coward! And you call yourself future king?!"

"Shut up! Just tell me where my bride is!" Gustav is shaking in anger.

"She was never and will never be your bride! Stop being so pathetic, Gustav. Why not pick any girl who actually likes you instead of forcing yourself to someone who despises you? She ran away for crying out loud because she didn't want to live with you by her side for the rest of her life!"

"And you know that? Ha! Stop making assumptions, bastard!"

"It's a fact. She will never be yours. Just accept it."

"She will be mine soon!" Gustav didn't mind what Gusion said.

"Oh Gustav... if only your spies did their job. You probably would have been able to stop me from marrying the woman you're claiming to be your bride. She will never be yours because she's my wife now!"

Gustav froze.

Guinevere heard every word that Gusion said.

You idiot. You're gonna get yourself killed. She thought.

She watched Gusion's satisfied reaction as he enjoyed annoying his brother.

"I'm gonna make sure you'll regret this!!!" Gustav was so angry and took one of Gusion's daggers from a mage beside him. He held Gusion from his back and pointed his own dagger to his neck.