Chapter 25: Long Weekend

"Ugh, that wasn't scary at all." Guinevere sighed, disappointed.

"If that movie didn't scare you, what kind of horror movie does?" Gusion asked in disbelief.

"Something totally unpredictable. Wait, did that trash seriously scare you or were you just pretending you're scared so you can hug me?"

"I won't deny that I wanted to hug you, but I was seriously scared, Guin."

"Really? You are the best assassin I've met yet you get easily frightened by horror movies?"

"Have you ever seen a ghost?" Gusion asked.

"Hmm, no. Why do you ask?"

"That explains why you're not scared. I've seen one when I was a kid."

"Really? What exactly did you see? How did it look like?" Guinevere was curious.

"It was the ghost of one of the servants of my great grandfather who hanged herself in the closet inside my room. It haunted me every single night for months. She would crawl from the closet to my bed and I would always end up screaming and waking everyone up in the middle of the night. I can still remember how she looked like even until now. Nobody believed me until I got sick and almost died and then I had scratches all over my body. That room was kept locked up since then. Even magic couldn't get rid of her ghost. Even after they burned that closet."

"I'm so sorry Gusion. You should have told me. We've been watching horror movies since this morning and I never believed you were actually scared. I even laughed at you. That's so insensitive of me. Sorry."

"Hey, you don't have to apologize. I want you to enjoy this day so if watching scary movies is your thing then I'm up for it."

Guinevere fell silent.

"What's wrong?" Gusion asked.

She did not respond.

"Did I say something wrong? Why are you upset?"

"You know the only thing I don't like about you, Gusion?"

Gusion waited for Guinevere to continue.

"I don't like that you don't think about yourself. That you're always willing to sacrifice yourself for other people, that you would do everything for me even if that means putting your life in danger."

"Because I love you, Guinevere."

"So you loved Lesley and Hanabi too?"

"I care about them but what I did for them was totally different from what I'm willing to do for you. How does this have anything to do with them?"

"I know, Gusion. But it's somewhat the same. Back then, you didn't care when people thought you're a fuckboy and were dating so many women while in fact you never really dated anyone. You just tried to protect them."

"How did you know about Lesley?"

"It doesn't matter. I don't know who else you protected and just let people think you dated, Gusion. That is really kind of you to do that and I'm proud of you. But my point here is, it's okay to save other people, but you have to think about saving yourself too. You're not a superhero. If you were to choose between saving your life and mine, you would surely choose mine... as if your life doesn't matter and I hate you for that."

"I understand, Guin. I'm sorry I made you upset. Is this about your bad dream?"

Guinevere nodded.

"Come here." Gusion wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. "Please don't be mad. I'm sorry."

"I'm not mad at you. I'm worried."