Chapter 37: Genesis

"So you know how to bake?" Angela curiously asked Guinevere after she told them she's working in a pastry shop.

"Absolutely... not. I almost burned down the entire shop the first time I tried."

Everyone laughed.

"Classic Guinevere." Alucard laughed the loudest.

Guinevere secretly glanced at Gusion. He wasn't laughing but he was smiling. It melted her heart. She wondered what he was thinking. He caught her looking at him so she immediately looked away.

Although nothing seemed to have changed between her and her friends, she noticed that none of them ever asked nor brought up anything about her and Gusion, not even Angela. She thought it may be because they respect both of them and didn't want the atmostphere to become awkward, but she couldn't help but suspect as well that it's probably because they all knew Gusion has a new girlfriend.

It was almost five in the afternoon when they left Gusion's unit.

"Chou, you go ahead. Guinevere and I have a lot of catching up to do. I'll be back soon." Angela waved at Chou before she and Guinevere left.

"How are you, Guinny?" She asked Guinevere as soon as they arrived at the pastry shop.

"I'm okay, I guess." Guinevere responded.

"How long do you plan to stay here? Gustav is dead, there's no reason for you to live away from home."

"I'm going back soon." Guinevere forced a smile.

"Please be honest with me. How do you feel now about Gusion?"

"Nothing has ever changed since I left, Angela."

"You still love him?"

"Very much." Guinevere responded, looking a bit sad.

"I was angry at you, you know." Angela admitted.

"I know, I'm sorry." Guinevere apologized.

"He was so devastated when you left. We even thought he was gonna kill himself. But I also realized it must have been worse for you. You sacrificed everything for him, to keep him safe and alive. I'm just glad he made it through and I'm also happy to see you again."

"I'm glad he moved on." Guinevere agreed.

"Yeah, he did. But you know I still hope you two will get back together."

"Me too." Guinevere admitted.

"Really?!?" Angela asked, excitedly.

"Uhm, I think I just told you I still love him so much. But I heard he has a girlfriend now so I don't think it's possible."

Angela did not respond.

"I guess I'll just continue loving him from afar." Guinevere smiled as she hold her tears.

"I don't know, to be honest, Guin."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"He's always on the phone with someone. He looks really happy every time he's talking to whoever it is he's always on the phone with. We never asked him about it. Neither did we ever talk about it. We also never mentioned your name in front of him, only because we didn't know how he would react. But I think he really did move on. He seems happy now. Before we graduated from Moonton, he was training a pretty and badass assassin. Her name is Benedetta. People say they look good together. They would hang out after trainings and I know they're close. But I'm not sure if she's the same person Gusion has been talking to on the phone all the time."