Chapter 31: Why?

Gusion woke up to a bright sunlight and cool breeze coming from the open window. He almost forgot he's in Guinevere's chamber. He quickly looked beside him but she wasn't there. He couldn't help but smile as he remembered what had just happened last night.

It wasn't a dream. He thought.

He excitedly ran to the bathroom to check if she was there but it's empty.

She must be preparing breakfast downstairs.

While he was wearing his clothes, his phone rang. It was Alucard.

Alucard: So, did she say yes?

"I think so."

Alucard: What do you mean you think so?

"She said she wanted to marry me too."

Alucard: But did she say yes?

"Isn't that a yes?"

Alucard: Hmmm, okay probably. Maybe ask her again to be sure. Unless you two did something last night that confirmed it. If you know what I mean... hehe.

"Oh shut up, Alucard."

Alucard: I can see you blushing from here, Papa Gus and you do sound like you just got a savage.

"Talk to you later, bye."

Alucard: Hey, wait—

Gusion ended the call and went downstairs where Lancelot and Odette were having breakfast.

"Good morning. Have you seen Guin?" He asked the couple.

"Didn't you two sleep together again last night?" Lancelot chuckled.

"Uhm, she's not in her chamber, Lance." Gusion felt a bit embarrassed as he scratched the back of his head.

"She must be out going for a walk." Lancelot guessed.

"Let me ask the helpers." Odette stood up and talked to the their servants. She went back a few minutes later.

"Nobody has seen her. That's weird." Odette said as soon as she went back.

Gusion started to worry.

"Hey, calm down. It's perfectly safe here. No one can enter this castle to take her away from you." Lancelot assured him.

"Except if she left on purpose. Lance, you have to see this." Odette showed Lancelot a newspaper that was just handed to her by one of their servants.

Lancelot froze.

"Why? What is it?" Gusion asked as he approached the couple. He grabbed the newspaper and read the headline.

PRINCESS GUINEVERE TO MARRY THE ELDEST PAXLEY PRINCE TONIGHT

"This isn't true!" Gusion almost shouted.

He ran outside to find Guinevere. He went to the spot where they watched the sunset the previous day but she wasn't there. He ran back and searched the entire castle only to realize that Guinevere was really gone. He went back to her chamber and looked for anything that could give him a hint of where she went. She left all of her stuff. Gusion sat on the floor frustrated, worried, and scared. He tried to calm himself down. After a few minutes of thinking, he stood up and packed his stuff. He then saw the ring he gave her on the bedside table confirming she really left on purpose. He took it and put it in his pocket.

What's going on, Guinevere? Is this why you thanked me yesterday? Is this why you have been acting off lately? I thought you wanted to marry me?