Chapter 10: Breakfast

"This is really good. Didn't know the best toast in town is hidden just two blocks away from the campus. Now I can grab breakfast on my way to school everyday." Guinevere happily said as she finished her toast.

"Glad you liked it. You really love eating, don't you?" Gusion smiled at her. 

Guinevere smiled back. "My brother makes the best toasts in the whole world and this one is the second best... and yes, I love eating." 

"You have a brother?" Gusion asked curiously. The princess he's been trying to find for months now was looking for her brother and the crazy idea that Athena and the princess are the same person suddenly came back. "Where is he?" He asked.

Guinevere felt suspicious and a bit scared that Gusion is interested in knowing about his brother Lancelot, so she lied. "Hmm, I left him in our country."

"Oh you're not from here? Which country are you from then?" Gusion asked, scratching off the idea he had ealier about the Baroque princess.

Gusion was not the first person who asked her where she's from so she gave him the same answer she's been telling anyone who ever asked.

"I'm from that country those non-magic people called 'Japan', where ramen originated." Guinevere replied, hoping Gusion won't spot she's lying.

"Right, right, Scarlet Shadow. That's where Hanabi came from, too." 

"Is she your friend?" Guinevere asked as she remembered the pretty brunette and found an opportunity to change the topic.

"Yes. We hang out sometimes."

"I see." Guinevere replied. 

"So, what made you decide to join Moonton?" Gusion asked again after noticing Guinevere's short response.

"I want to improve my fighting skills. I heard they hired the best teachers." 

"That's true... and because they are the best, do you know how much they earn?"

"Hmm, no idea."

 "A LOT. The same thing will happen to us once we complete our mastery training." 

"What do you mean the same thing will happen to us?" Guinevere asked, curious.

"We'll earn a lot too, just like them, like A LOT. The reason why we're not allowed to show our skills to our classmates or to anyone is solely because of that. Because they will make us compete with each other eventually."

"Really?" Guinevere asked confused. "I thought we'll just study and train and graduate like  normal students."

"Why do you think Moonton is called a secret academy? If you search Moonton on the internet, all you can see is a mobile game company. They make it look like those so-called heroes - which will be us too in the future, do not exist. But what they will actually do is they will make us fight in the battlefield, they will record everything and then create our clones with the same voice, same skills and moves, same life story, everything. Those clones are what the non-magic-slash-ordinary people play on their mobile phones. For every gold our clones earn every battle of each mobile player, Moonton will pay us half of the total gold earned after each match. Imagine if millions of people all over the world use your clone... you'll become a billionaire in just an hour."

"That's interesting. Did you know about all these before you join Moonton? Why are they keeping it from us?" Guinevere asked.

"No, I didn't know before I joined. Layla just told me. So before our very first official battle, Moonton will discuss that to us and then have us sign an agreement." Gusion continued.

"I see. So what do you plan to do then when you get your first billions, Gus?" Guinevere asked.

Gusion smiled when she called him Gus. "I don't know yet. Maybe once I found..." He suddenly stopped and looked worried.

Guinevere felt a sharp stab on her chest. She knew what Gusion was going to say. But she hid the pain pretty well and just smiled. "Hmmm, why don't you just search for her online instead of finding her in the forest every night?"

"Already did. You see, people with magic can obliterate their existence online. My family does not exist on the internet." Gusion chuckled.

Guinevere agreed internally. Her family did that too making her disguise as Athena Asamiya much easier.

The two talked a few minutes more and then left the cafe. Gusion walked her to her flat before running to the forest, this time for training. 

As soon as Guinevere entered her flat, she removed her wig and showered. While in the shower, everything replayed on her mind...what happened at the bar, how she attempted to kiss Gusion, and woke up in Gusion's room without any memory of what happened the previous night, and then their breakfast... 

Are you like that to all your friends? Or am I somehow special to you? Guinevere can't help but wonder. Then she remembered Gusion's response when she asked him why he was being nice to her. 

"Because you're my friend."

She also remembered what Lesley told her. That Gusion didn't want to see her wearing a wedding dress until their wedding because he can see himself marrying someone like her.

"Someone like me."

I'm his friend and he wanted to marry someone like me. Wake up Guinevere! You are friend-zoned and example-zoned! Can't you see? Ugh, why do I even waste my time thinking about him. Priorities, Guinevere, PRIORITIES! Falling in love should be the least of my concern right now. But what do I really want?