Chapter 26: First Love

"I understand, Guin."

"Thanks for listening, Granger."

"But..." He paused.

"But what?"

"Do you think that's the only solution to keep Gusion safe and alive?"

"I don't know, to be honest. Running away together isn't the best option either."

"Don't you want to marry him?"

"I want to of course, but not in the near future. Why do you ask?"

"We're only talking about worst case scenarios here. It's not like you're actually planning to do it, right? Listen, Guinevere, I know how much you two love each other and you're right about the fact that Gusion won't think twice sacrificing his life for you. But don't you think leaving him is unfair?"

"It is not fair. For both of us. But I think I'd rather lose him now than lose him forever." Guinevere responded sadly.

"I used to say the same thing, Guin. But it's not always like that. Sometimes letting go of someone is just the same as losing them forever."

Guinevere looked curiously at Granger. "What made you say that?"

"Three years ago, I met a girl. Her name is Ahri, a daughter of a nobleman. I can still remember her long straight black hair that matches her lovely brown eyes, her humility and simplicity despite being such a beautiful woman. She's the sweetest person I've ever met. I never knew how to smile or laugh until I met her. She was the only one who truly understood me, the only one who never gave up on me no matter how many times I pushed her away. I think you already knew that I was an orphan at the Monastery of Light and I grew up with nothing or no one to be afraid of losing until she came into my life. If not for her I wouldn't know how to interact with people. I was never really good at expressing my emotions and when I finally had the courage to tell her I love her, it was also the last time I ever saw her."

Guinevere didn't know how to process what she just heard.

"That is quite a beautiful story Granger, but at the same time really sad."

"It is the saddest." Granger forced a smile at her.

"But I thought..." Guinevere hesitated.

"You thought I'm into guys?"

"Yeah and I thought Lesley was your first girlfriend."

"I am a complicated man, Guinevere. I guess you really couldn't choose who you fall in love with. That's why it was too hard for me to admit even to myself that I'm in love with Alu. That's also the reason why I never plan to tell him about it. Lesley on the other hand, was yes, my first official girlfriend and you already knew why it was too brief. But Ahri was my first love, the only woman I've ever loved."

"What happened to her?" Guinevere asked.

"The same thing you're thinking of doing to Gusion. I left her without even telling her my reasons."

"Because you wanted to save her life?"

"Yes. I didn't want her to be involved with my missions back then. It was too dangerous. I thought it was the only way to keep her safe."

Granger looked away. He was trying to fight back tears.

"Granger..."

"I thought it was the right thing to do. But I regret it. I regret leaving her. If I could go back to that moment, I would do things differently."

"Where is she now? Why didn't you come back for her?"

"I didn't have the courage to face her again, not after I hurt her."