Chapter 12: Summer

"So I heard Moonton is cooking up something big for the next school year." Layla sat beside Gusion who was busy on his laptop. She rested her head on his shoulder.

"What is it?" Gusion asked not looking at the school admin.

"You have to tell me first what's going on between you and Hanabi. Everyone talks about it you know. So are you two official now?" Layla asked sounding jealous.

"There's nothing to tell you, Layla." Gusion seemed slightly annoyed and closed his laptop.

"Fine, then I'm not telling you what Moonton is up to."

"Fine." Gusion stood up to leave.

Layla followed him immediately. "Hey, I'm just kidding. Why are you so hot tempered lately?"

"You know I don't like explaining myself to people." Gusion responded coldly.

"Hey, I'm sorry. I just wanted to know what really happened. I know you didn't kiss her. Whatever people are talking about wasn't true, right?" Layla apologized.

"What does it matter?" Gusion asked, annoyed.

"Why are you so numb, Gusion? I'm freaking jealous!"

Gusion did not respond.

"I know we're not dating or something, but we hang out, we talk, and you are nice to me and I felt special. Then suddenly I heard you kissed another girl?" Layla blurted out, unsure if she made any sense.

"Can you hear yourself, Layla?" Gusion asked.

Layla went silent for a minute. "Sorry. That was stupid. It's just that, I like you Gusion, even from the start. Why can't you see me the way you see all the girls you dated? Why can't we be more than just friends?"

Gusion wasn't shocked with Layla's confession. He's used to girls confessing their feelings for him. "There's no need to apologize, Layla. Thanks for being honest with me. I enjoy your company, you know. But just because we're not dating doesn't mean you're any less than the girls I dated. You're great." Gusion responded.

"Thank you, Gusion. Just forget what I just said, okay?"

"Did you tell me anything?" Gusion winked.

"Haha, thanks! So... here's the scoop. Moonton is planning on recruiting students to form squads. I just joined one called S.A.B.E.R."

"Interesting. But you're not a student, why did they allow you to join?" Gusion asked curiously.

"Well, Moonton. You know how eratic they can be. The reason I'm telling you is because you might be interested. The suits are awesome, you're gonna love them."

"Okay, I'll think about it. Thanks for letting me know, Layla."

The two waved at each other and Gusion went to the Martial Arts room. The class just ended and students are heading out when he saw Chou.

"Hey Chou, have you seen Athena?" He asked.

"No, she's absent. I was looking for her too because we're supposed to be sparring partners."

"I see. Thanks." Gusion left and went to his next class - Potions, which Guinevere also enrolled on.

The professor was checking the attendance. "Athena Asamiya?" Nobody raised their hand.

When all the classes ended, Gusion saw Alucard and Granger eating in the cafeteria. He joined them after grabbing a sandwich and an energy drink.

"Have you two seen Athena?" He asked the two demon hunters.