Chapter 33: One Year Later

"Princess— oh, I'm sorry, Guinevere, you have a letter. From the King."

"When will you stop calling a lady wearing a uniform like this, a princess? You own and manage this shop, you're the one I should be calling ma'am." Guinevere smiled as she took the letter from her manager.

She has been working in a pastry shop located in a small city in Mahar Pura for almost a year now. Mahar Pura is one of the wealthiest kingdoms in the southern part of Cadia Riverlands, led by Minsitthar, the King.

She flew to this city the night of her fake wedding with Gustav. Nobody, not even Lancelot, knew where she went. Originally, she wanted to stay in Scarlet Shadow, but she realized later on that Gusion will be able to easily track her down because it's the same place she said she was from when she was still pretending to be Athena Asamiya, —if he still wanted to see her.

With money only enough for her to survive for three months, Guinevere looked for a regular job and after getting rejected so many times for not having enough background and experiences, she finally got hired as a cashier in a pastry shop beside a condominium building.

Wealthy and powerful families in Land of Dawn, including the Baroques and the Paxleys, can control the media in order for them to remain unsearchable online. They can also limit the information being released to newspapers and televisions to keep their reputation flawless. Hence, nobody recognized Guinevere while she works as a cashier, including her manager. But when the news broke a week ago that Gustav was murdered by his esquire and Guinevere's photo was briefly flashed on tv, her manager realized that Guinevere is the princess that Gustav married. Guinevere told her everything and explained why she had to stay in Mahar Pura, and because she treats Guinevere like a daughter, she kept her secret and let her stay. However, for some reason, Minsitthar learned about Guinevere and summoned her. She was questioned if she had anything to do with Gustav's death and why she was staying in Mahar Pura. After telling him the truth, the King released her and told her he will reach out to her again to let her know if they will allow her to continue living in his kingdom.

"What does the letter say?" The shop manager asked Guinevere.

"The King apologized for the troubles and said he will grant me the privilege to stay here!" She happily responded.

"That's great news! I'm so happy for you Prin— Guinevere!!!" Her manager hugged her.

They both went back to work when a group of four teenage girls entered the shop. While they were ordering, one of them was busy playing on her phone. Guinevere didn't expect what the girl was playing.

"The perfect combination of might and magic."

Guinevere froze. Hearing that familiar voice again after a year suddenly brought back memories of the man she loves, the only one she will ever love. She remembered that day back in Moonton when she helped him finalize his lines before their voice recording.

"So you were really serious about that swordsmanship is almost as good looking as I am quote?! I thought Alucard was kidding. Hahaha!"

"Well Moonton asked us to sound arrogant, right? I really couldn't think of anything right now because I can't stop thinking about you. Sorry. I didn't mean to make you blush."

"I hate when you do this to me, Paxley."

"I like it when you blush because of me."

Guinevere was so lost in her thoughts that she smiled as she stared blankly into the four girls at the counter.

"Miss, did you hear me?"

"Miss?"

Guinevere snapped back and apologized to the customers. "I'm so sorry, what was your order again?"

"Two cheesecakes and two blueberry pies."

"Got it."

While Guinevere was punching in the orders, she overheard the girls talking about him.

"You only play because of that new hero, Gusion. You don't even use him in battles."

"Well, how can you resist such a handsome hero? And look at his butt, so sexy."

Guinevere blushed. She remembered the very last night she spent with Gusion. That steamy night...

"Guinevere, are you okay?" The waitress asked her when she noticed her face was all red.

"What? Uhm, yeah I'm fine!"

The four girls continued talking and fantasizing about her ex-boyfriend.

"I really wish he exists in real life. I would probably ask him or force him to marry me right away."

The girls laughed.

"Well if he ever exists, for sure he's dating Lesley. They look really good together."

"Nah, I don't think they're an official couple. It was never mentioned in their story."

"Well their couple skin is what makes them official. Sorry to break your heart!"

"I really don't care if he has a girlfriend or not. I'm just happy to see him everyday and I hope to meet him someday. I really wish he exists."

"You're crazy!"

Guinevere couldn't sleep that night. She recalled her first few months in her apartment when all she did was cry while she thought about Gusion until she fell asleep. She hurt herself but the thought of hurting him is what made it more painful for her. Leaving him was the hardest decision she ever made.

I'm sure you hate me now. I'm so sorry.

I wonder where you are now... what you are doing... who you are with...

Guinevere took her phone and installed the Mobile Legends game and then uninstalled it.

She was so nervous and couldn't decide whether she will look into the game or not.

It's just a game, why am I nervous?

She installed it again.

As soon as the game was launched, she browsed through the heroes and saw some familiar faces like Miya, Lesley, Hayabusa, Kagura and many others including her friends, Alucard, Claude, Chou, and Angela. She felt happy for them but at the same time sad that she won't ever see them again.

Wait, where's Granger?

While she was looking for Granger, she accidentally browsed through the list of assassins.

She almost dropped her phone when she saw the handsome face of the man she loved so much, her Gusion. Moonton used his actual photo for his Holy Blade portrait. Guinevere's tears started falling down when she noticed that he was wearing the purple scarf she gave him.

You kept my scarf?
Gusion...
I hope you could forgive me someday...

A week ago, when Guinevere heard that Gustav was murdered, she started saving up so she could fly back to the City of Scholars. She doesn't know if Gusion will still accept her or if he is still there since he already graduated from Moonton and could be in any part of Land of Dawn, but she has to try anyway. She knew that Granger was right when he said that it's not that easy to just go back to someone's life after you hurt them and left them, but she's willing to take her chances. Maybe not to win him back, but to ask for his forgiveness so they could both move on. Although, she knew deep in her heart that she could never move on from loving Gusion.

Did I make the right choice when I left you?
Did I really save your life?
They say you'd know you made the right decision when it made you happy. But I feel empty right now. I feel incomplete.
Did I make the biggest mistake of my life?
I thought I would be content knowing that you are safe and alive, but why do I want to go back to you?
I wonder if you still love me...
Or have you moved on already and happy with someone else right now?
Because I meant it...
I meant it when I said I am yours forever, Gusion...