Chapter 21: Purple Scarf

"Because I fell in love with you."

Guinevere's heart started pounding like crazy.

"I fell in love with how brave you are, how unselfish you are. You could have just left me there to die, but you didn't. You took care of me, you even left me the only food and water you had. You are different. You know what you want and you fight for it."

"If you were in love with Guinevere, why did you ask me to be your girlfriend?"

Gusion chuckled. "I just told you I'm in love with you and you're jealous of Athena Asamiya? Who is also you? For once, can you please stop being cute?"

"I'm not jealous!!!" Guinevere blushed.

"Yes, you are my princess. I know that look. Same look you had when I saved Hanabi in the battlefield." Gusion teased.

"How dare you, Gusion Paxley? I didn't kill her because I was jealous! I wanted to win. Just answer my question please." Her face is all red.

"Hahaha, okay. Whatever you say, princess. So... on your first day here at Moonton as Athena, I always had this feeling that you were that girl I met in the forest. How can I forget your eyes, your lips..." Gusion paused as he looked at Guinevere's lips, and then breathed deeply as if trying to control himself from doing something.

"Anyway, you were so good at pretending so I tried to convince myself you're not the princess. I was starting to like you though, but I felt like I was betraying my love for her. Can you imagine how crazy that was? I wanted to spend more time with you so the nights I spent in the forest have decreased from every night, to every other night, until it became once a week. I felt bad, really. So I hired a spy to be on the lookout at the Swan castle in case the princess comes out. The spy never saw the princess in the Swan castle, not until this summer. The same time you said you went home to Scarlet Shadow. He told me he saw the Baroque princess with her brother and the Regina princess during sunset. I wasn't really convinced so I tried to meet up with your brother. But he rejected my request because he knew I was a Paxley. Remember that night after I confessed to you that I like you?"

"Yes. You told me you went to the forest to find the princess to be sure." Guinevere responded.

"I also told you I was thinking about you."

Guinevere blushed again.

Gusion smiled and continued. "I met with your brother that night."

"You, what?!? How did you convince him to meet with you?"

"Because I showed him this scarf and he recognized this was the one given to you by your mother. He couldn't believe you gave this to me because he said you treasured this. That made me feel more special. Then I asked him if you and Guinevere Baroque are the same person."

"And he told you the truth?!" Guinevere asked.

"Yes."

"What?!? How did you make him admit it?"

"I told him I love you and I will always protect you. I had his blessing before I asked you to be my girlfriend."

"But why didn't he tell me?"

"I asked him not to. I told him I wanted to give you time. Because I know how scared you were. I want you to do it because you want to, not because you were forced to. I was dying to say I love you, Guinevere Baroque. But I wanted to say it to you as Guinevere not Athena, so I patiently waited until I'm sure you're ready to tell me the truth. And this tragic thing happened. You have no idea how scared I was thinking I would lose you forever. I thought I would lose my chance to tell you how much I love you. I'm so sorry I wasn't able to protect you, Guinevere. It's all my fault." Gusion's tears started falling down as he held Guinevere's hands.