Till Death do us Part

Betty's POV:

I walked through the big double doors of the hospital for the 5th time this week. 

"Hey Betty! How are you today?" Sandy, the receptionist asks me. I've become really close with all of my doctors. They don't treat me like any differently, even though I am basically laying on death's bed. 

"I'm doing the best I can." I reply to her. She smiles sympathetically at me and waves me into the hallway. 

I head down the bleak, white corridor to my hospital room. I'm here so often that I have my own room here that is personalized with some of my favorite things. The smell of anestheptic hovers in the air as I open the door to my room. I place my backpack on the chair and settle down to lay in bed. Ever since I've been diagnosed with cancer, my body has gotten weaker and weaker by the day. It's harder for me to get out of bed, and do regular life things, like make my bed, do the dishes, get dressed, or even shower. I just miss the way my life used to be, before I got sick. I sigh and lay back in my bed, when my door swings open. My best friend and doctor, Veronica Lodge, comes walking into the room.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" She asks me. She comes over and sits in the black leather chair by my bed. 

"Tired." I respond quietly. She just nods in response and takes a deep breath. Uh oh, this can't possibly be good.

"So Betty, listen, you're gonna have to start staying in the hospital from now on. The cancer is getting worse and you're already up stage 3. I'm so sorry, B. We are doing everything we can to get you cancer free." I drop my eyes to the ground, and can feel hot tears prick behind my eyes. I refuse to look weak in front of everyone so I don't say anything until I get my self together.

"Oh, I see. Well then I guess I'll be living here. Thanks for telling me, V." I say. She pats my arm lightly and stands up to leave the room.

"You're gonna be okay, Betty. I'm not giving up on you." She opens the door and leaves, shutting it behind her. When I know that she's gone, is when I allow the tears to fall. It's hard pretending to be okay, especially when you don't know how much longer you have left to live. I cried for a while until the sobs turned to sniffles, and the sniffles turned into nothing. My pillow case is soaked and my cheeks are tear stained. I sit up, and slowly walk out of my room. When I'm having bad days I like to go outside and sit by the lake in the back of the hospital. 

I leave the hospital and sit down on the bank of the lake. I look out at the still water and my eyes fill with tears yet again. I'm all alone. If I die I'm gonna die all alone. My family abandoned me as soon as they found out I was sick. They didn't want to have to deal with the costs that come with caring for a sick a child. I woke up one day, and my parents had left a note saying they moved away and they didn't want me to come find them. I cried for hours that day, feeling very worthless. I let a tear fall as I think about the past, but quickly wipe it away. I've shed my tears. It's time I stop being weak. I take my shoes off and dip my feet into the cold lake. I splash them around and lay my head on my knees. I close my eyes and breathe in the fresh fall air. 

"Um hi, are you alright?" The voice startles me and I turn around to see a boy. A cute boy. I stare into his eyes and he stares into mine, and butterflies start flapping their wings in my stomach. This is the beginning of our story.