Broken Bones

Betty's POV:

Today was our annual game day that Jug and I did together every year. We used to invite our friends to join us, but that seemed to get too crowded and chaotic so we changed it to just us. Basically, Jughead and I each choose a game to play and we play them. I tend to pick board games and he picks more active games that forces me to do physical activity (which I hate). I grabbed monopoly down from the shelf in my closet when I hear the doorbell ring from downstairs. I smile and giddily run down the stairs to open the door for my beanie- wearing lover. I swing the front door open, and throw myself into his arms. I hear him chuckle and he wraps his arms around me tighter. I tilt my head up and he pecks my lips quickly.

"Hey Betts." He says after we pull away.

"Hi Juggie! Come inside." I pull on his arm and drag him in the house excitedly.

His eyes land on all of the board games I have set up by the coffee table and he leans his head back a groans.

"Do we have to play those games? You know I don't like board games very much." He whines. I sigh and stare at him while pouting at him and giving him my puppy dog eyes. I bat my eyelashes at him, and look at him from underneath them. I see his demeanor soften and he rubs his hand over his face.

"Fine, but that isn't fair. You know I can't say no to that." He replies pointedly while waving his hand at my face. I grin and kiss his cheek, and take my seat at the coffee table. He reluctantly sits across from me and we start playing our games.

"How are you so good at this? I swear you're cheating!" Jughead exclaims.. I giggle and pick up all the Uno cards.

"No cheating, babe. I'm just that good." I wink at him and he scoffs playfully.

"Well now it's my turn. I hope you're good at football."

I inwardly groan and follow him out into the backyard. He grabs the football from the garage and we set up the game. He starts with the ball first, and runs towards me at full speed. I try to block him but fail miserably as he pushes me away and runs towards the touchdown line. I land in a heap on the ground and start to get up, but stop when I feel excruciating pain in my ankle. I cry out and lay back down on the ground while clutching my knees to my chest. In my peripheral vision I can see Jughead doing a little happy dance, but stops once he sees me laying on the ground. He rushes over and kneels down in front of me.

"Betty, baby, are you okay? Did I hurt you?" He sounds panicked and I want to comfort him but I am in way too much pain to do that right now.

"I think you broke my ankle."

I see his gaze drift down to my foot and his eyes go wide. He whispers a profanity under his breath and runs his hand through his hair. The pain gets worse and tears start to slip out of my eyes because of it. Jughead grabs my hand and kisses my forehead.

"I'm gonna pick you up okay? This is probably gonna hurt but I need to take you to the hospital." He rubs his thumb over my knuckles comfortingly, and I nod lightly. He carefully wraps and arm around my waist and under my legs. I suck in a breath when my foot lifts off the ground and is just dangling in the air. Jughead slowly walks me to the front of the house and puts me in the passenger seat of his truck. I curl up on the seat, and start to cry quietly as the pain worsens. He slides into the front seat and hurriedly starts the car. He peels out of the driveway, and starts to drive- much faster than he should be- to the hospital.

When we arrive there, Jughead runs inside and grabs me a wheelchair so he doesn't have to cause me more pain than I am already in. He wheels me in, and up to the receptionist.

"We need to see a doctor. My girlfriend broke her ankle and it's really bad." He whispers the last part so I don't hear it, but I do.

"Alright. A doctor will be with you shortly." The lady responds. Jughead nods and takes me over to one of the chairs in the waiting room.

He sits down and puts the wheelchair in front of him. He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and kisses my forehead.

"I'm so sorry. I should've been more careful. I pushed you way too hard. I am so so sorry, baby." I grab his cheek and look at those baby blues I love so much.

"You didn't mean to Juggie. It's okay. I'll be fine." I reassure him. He nods but doesn't look convinced, and I wince when a sharp pain reverberates through my ankle and leg. A few minutes later, I am called back into a room and we follow a doctor.

He directs us into one of the rooms, and tells me to sit down on the bed. With the help of Jug I am able to make it onto the bed and lay down. The doctor examines my ankle and I see his eyebrows furrow when he looks at the purple and blue swelling.

"Yeah it's definitely broken. You're gonna have to be in a cast for at least 6 weeks, and you'll be on crutches." He explains to me regretfully. I sigh heavily and nod, and he excuses himself so he can go grab my cast. Jughead rubs my back in circular motions in an attempt to soothe me, and I smile weakly at him. The doctor returns with a pink cast, and warns me that this is going to hurt. Boy was he right. I wince and grunt the whole time he's putting the cast around my ankle. Tears are streaming down my face, and I choke back heavy sobs from coming out.

After what feels like years, the cast is on securely and my foot is elevated on a pillow. The doctor gives me pain medication, and it really helps. The only downfall is that I'm really loopy and emotional because of it.

Jughead's POV:

On the drive home I glance over at Betty and see her looking out the window and crying. I put my hand on her thigh to draw her attention to me. She looks over at me, and her green eyes are spilling over with huge tears.

"Honey, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" I ask her. She just starts to cry more.

"I just love you so much, and I'm so grateful for you. You treat me so well and I don't deserve you at all. I'm afraid that you're gonna leave me for someone better, and I won't be able to live without you. I love you Juggie, please don't leave me!" She wails between sobs. I know this is just her being overly emotional because of the pain medicine the hospital gave her. I pull the car over to the side of the road so I can console her without getting us killed.

I put my hand on her cheek and will the tears away with the pad of my thumb. I stare at her with all the love in the world, and kiss her lips softly.

"Betts, I'm never going to leave you. I am so in love with you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. There is nobody better for me. I love you too, sweetheart. Don't worry about me leaving you because it's never going to happen. Everything is okay, my love." I bring her into my embrace the best I can while sitting in the car. I pull back and lay her back down in the seat. She closes her eyes and drifts off to sleep with our hands intertwined on her thigh. I look over and smile at her before starting the car and driving us home.