Songbird

This is a long one

Betty's POV:

"Ugh c'mon Betty! Let loose for one night! It'll be so much fun!" Veronica pesters me as I stand at my locker grabbing my stuff before heading home. She wants me to go to a karaoke bar with her tonight. I don't want to because she knows how bad my stage fright is, and I freeze up when I try to sing in front of people. 

"Pleaseeee Betty! For meeee." She begs. I sigh and roll my eyes.

"Fine fine." I say giving in. Veronica squeals loudly and I swear my eardrum just popped. She jumps up and down and runs in front of me while dragging me behind her.

We arrive at my house and run up the stairs to my room. Veronica immediately goes to my closet and starts throwing stuff out of my closet. I sit on my bed and pull out my math homework so I can get a head start on it. 

"Hey!" Veronica pulls my notebook away from under me, and throws it somewhere in my room.

"Veronica! Give it back!" I exclaim. She just shakes her head and goes back into my closet to resume sifting through my things. 

I lay back on my bed and lay my forearm over my eyes. I feel something land on top of me, and I sit up right. There is a light pink dress laying on my lap. I haven't worn this dress at all since I bought it. 

"That's it. That is what you're wearing. Get changed so we can start on you hair and makeup." She orders. I huff and strip out of my clothes and into the dress. I sit at my vanity and let Veronica work her magic on my face. She is doing a light, natural look for the makeup and hair. 

A while later, she announces that she is done, and instructs me to go and look at myself in my mirror. I walk over and look at the reflection staring back at me. The dress hugs my body in all the right places, and it flares out just slightly at the bottom. It ends at mid thigh and is just casual enough for karaoke night at a bar. My hair is in a half up style, and a little bun sits on the top of my head. The hair that is down is curled and lays perfectly on my shoulders. The makeup is just enough that I still look like me, but also gives my face a little glow. I turn around and grin at Veronica.

"I love it, V. You did an amazing job." I tell her. She flips her hair playfully and gives me a wink. I laugh at her and go to put on some pink heels that I've had sitting in my closet for years. 

Veronica goes in the bathroom to change into her outfit. She leaves some of her fancy dresses here for occasions like this. She does her makeup much more bold than mine, and puts her hair in a sleeked back low bun. Her dress is a tight black lacy dress that fits her figure beautifully. I stand behind her and clap my hands happily when I see the final product. We embrace in a quick hug, and walk down the stairs. 

"Bye mom! I'm going out with Veronica, I'll be back later!" I rush Veronica out the door before my mom has time to grill us with a thousand questions. I slip into the passenger seat of her Lexus and she starts the car. The whole way to the bar, we scream songs at the top of our lungs. The windows are down and the wind fills our ears along with the music.

We are both giggling uncontrollably when we walk into the bar, but I stop as soon as I see how many people fill the bar. There is a girl up on the stage singing right now to some song by 1D. Veronica must sense my anxiety because she grabs my hand, and leads me to a table right up by the karaoke stage. The girl that was up there, ends her song and the bar erupts into loud cheers. 

"Okay whose up next?" The DJ asks the crowd. Nobody makes a move to go up there, and I sink down lower in my chair. Veronica nudges my arm and points to the stage with her head. I vigorously shake my head no and start to breathe heavy.