Babysitting

Betty's POV:

The soft glow from the lamp on my bedside table lights up my bedroom, as I sit on my bed and try to figure out my math homework. Rain putters against my windows and thunder booms, shaking the whole house. A cold draft whooshes down from the air vent above my bed, and I pull my pink, fluffy blanket tighter around my shoulders. 

A knock from the front door downstairs interrupts my thinking, and I drop my pencil onto the papers in front of me. I let the blanket slide from my body as I stand up, and quickly run down the stairs. I open the door and a cold, shivering Jughead is revealed along with Jellybean who is tucked under his jacket, and screaming her head off. I gasp and quickly pull them both inside the warm house. 

"Oh my god, Jug what are you doing?" I ask. 

"My dad is out for the night and needed me to babysit Jellybean for him, but she wouldn't stop crying so I decided to bring her over here." He points to the baby who is still crying and flailing in his arms. 

"Hold on let me go and get you a towel." I rush into the bathroom and dig a towel out from under the sink. I walk back over to where they are now sat on the couch, and lay the towels down in Jughead's lap, who takes them and covers them both up. I pick Jellybean up from where she is sitting on Jughead's lap and bring her into my arms. I grab a towel for her and wrap her little body up in the soft material. I rock her back and forth while pacing the living room and humming to her quietly. Her wails soften until they become sniffles, and then nothing. Her eyes close and she brings her thumb up to her mouth and sucks on it as I continue the rocking motion. I feel Jughead's eyes on me as I lay her down in the bassinet that is sat in the corner of the living room- Polly uses it for the twins when they come to visit. 

"What?" I ask as I join him by the couch. He runs a hand through his wet hair, and leans back into the couch cushions. 

"I have no idea how you did that, but gosh am I thankful for it. You are a miracle worker, Betts." He leans forward and places a kiss on my temple, that makes me smile. 

"She just needed a little extra love, that's all." Jughead scoffs and again lays down on the couch. I join him and lean against his front, while I turn the TV on- making sure the volume stays low as to not wake up Jellybean. Rebel without a Cause pops up on the screen, and Jughead sighs contentedly. We sit in a comfortable silence while watching the screen in front of us, sometimes laughing at the funny parts. 

After the movie has ended, Jughead announces that he's going to take a shower to freshen up. I nod and give him a quick kiss, before sitting up and allowing him to slip past me and up the stairs to my bathroom. I click the television off, and the room is bathed in darkness with only the occasional lighting strike to illuminate the living room. I grab the blanket that is strewn across the back of the couch and cover myself up, while laying my head on the throw pillows and closing my eyes. 

Sleep almost consumes me, but then Jellybean whimpers from across the room and I see her tiny arms and legs start to kick. I hurriedly toss the blanket aside and run to her, to make sure that screaming doesn't ensue again. Her bright blue eyes stare up at me in the darkness, and the ghost of a smile forms on my face as I lift her from the bed and into my arms. I cradle her and brush the black curls away from her petite face. As I look down at the girl in my arms, a sense of urgency passes through me. The urgency to take care of her and watch over her, and help her with anything that she may need now or in the future. It's in the dark room that I start to whisper to her. 

Jughead's POV:

I pull my shirt over my head and shake out my hair, combing it over to the side with my fingers just to keep it out of my face. I take a glance at my reflection in the mirror and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Except of course the smell of flowers and lavender radiation from my body and hair. I don't mind it much though, because it smells like Betty and I love the way Betty smells. Before leaving the bathroom, I draw a little heart with the words 'I love you' written underneath,  in the corner of her mirror with the condensation. When she wakes up tomorrow to take her shower she'll see it know that I love her, and am thinking of her. I smile to myself at the cheesyness of it, and exit the bathroom. I walk down the stairs, and when I reach the bottom I hear something I don't expect to hear- Betty's voice whispering. I tiptoe closer to the corner of the wall, and peek my head around to see Betty holding Jellybean and talking to her. I stop moving and listen to the words she is speaking.

"I can't wait to see what you grow up to be like, and I promise you that I'll always be here for you. I know that your mom isn't around right now but I would love to be some sort of mother figure to you. If you ever need anything I will help you. If you need help with boys, homework, friends, your period, make-up, or even just a girl to talk to I am there. I swear to you that no matter what happens I can be there for you and look out for you. If a boy ever breaks your heart you give me the name and address of him and I'll go kick his ass and make sure he understands not to ever mess with you again." 

My heart swells at the kindness and truth in her words. I seriously can't wait to marry this girl someday. I listen as she continues on talking:

"And you never need to worry about me hurting your brother because I solemnly swear that I won't ever do anything to harm him. I love him very much and I feel so lucky everyday to have him in my life. I remember praying every single night before bed that I would get a sign that someone loves me and that I'm worth something. He is my sign, and I'm yours. I have your back always. I love you, little girl." 

From behind the wall I hear Jellybean giggle and Betty softly laugh back. I take that as my cue to come out of hiding. I walk out and wrap my arms around her waist, because she is turned away from me facing the window. She jumps but relaxes against me when he realizes that it's just me. I lean down and kiss her neck, and trail kisses all the way up to her temple. I feel her cheeks turn up in a smile, and I bring her tighter against me. 

"So I was your sign huh?" 

"You heard that?" She says and even though I can't see much, I know she is blushing bright red. 

"Yes I did, and I thought that what you said was very sweet. I appreciate you being there for Jellybean. And for me. I have no idea what we would do without you. I glance down at the baby in her arms, and see that she is once again sleeping. I motion for Betty to pass her to me, and when she does I cross over and lay her back down in the bassinet. I walk back over to Betty, facing her this time, and kiss her forehead longingly.

"I love you both so much, Jug. I feel so lucky to have you both in my life, and all I want to do is protect her from all the bad things in this world. I don't want anyone to ever hurt her." She whispers to me, looking at the ground. I bring her face up to mine by putting my finger under her chin. I kiss her lips slow and passionately, and let my hands roam the space on her back. My fingers graze over her exposed shoulder blades due to the tank top she is wearing, and feel her shiver under my touch. I pull away slowly and rest my forehead on hers, both of ours eyes still closed as we breathe in each other. 

"We can try our best to protect her, but she's going to get hurt at some point. It's part of living and growing. She'll get knocked down but then get back up and be stronger than ever. We can be there for her through everything, but we can't prevent the hurt. All we can do is comfort when she is hurt, and I think that's enough to show we care. Don't you think so?" She nods and I kiss her again, quicker this time. 

"I have never loved anyone like I love you, Jughead Jones." She tells me and a grin spreads onto my face. 

"Me neither, Betty Cooper. Me neither."

I'm slowly getting back to writing, so updates won't be as fast. Also this one kinda sucks so I'm sorry about that.