Serial Killer Genes

Betty's POV:

"I'm sorry to inform you Ms. Cooper, but you do have the MAOA and CDH13 genes." 

Ringing fills my ears, and the room starts to sway. I stand up from the bed, breathing heavily and quickly run out of the room. I run past the rooms, doctors, and patients until I open the door and fresh air fills my lungs. I bend my knees and lean over, resting my hands on my knees and taking deep breaths. The doctor's words played over and over in my head on a loop, and my brain goes foggy. I slowly stand up, and open the driver side door of my car. I slide in and turn the keys, starting the ignition and backing out of the office's parking lot. 

The drive home, I'm not fully there. My mind is re-living my past and I'm dazed as I go drive through the afternoon traffic. Before I can even comprehend, I've pulled into the driveway of my 3-story house that we share with my boyfriend's family- the Jones'. I pull the keys out of the car, and sit there staring at the white garage door in front of me, and I'm pulled into a memory.

"Daddy, I'm scared! Don't let go!" I scream, as my father pushes me down the driveway as I sit on the seat of my new pink bike. I pedal down the sidewalk with him holding onto the handlebars of my bike- his big, calloused hands cover my small, petite ones. He slowly lets go of the handlebars and I'm all on my own. For a minute I'm on cloud 9, riding smoothly down my neighborhood  with an accomplished smile spread on my face.

Then, a pebble. A singular pebble sat in the middle of the road. My tire trips over it, and I wobble just slightly , but it's enough to put me off balance. I fall onto the concrete with a scream, and skid across the bumpy road. I come to a halt with my bike laying on top of me, as I lay there with a few tears falling down my young, innocent face. 

"Daddy!" I call out, and hear his feet pounding on the cement. He drops down next to me and pushes the bike off my small body. He gathers me in his arms and kisses my forehead as I cry.

"I was so scared Daddy. Why did you let go?" I ask him through my tears. He smiles and brushes hair out of my face. 

"Oh Betty, you were capable of doing it on your own. You were doing so good, and I'm so proud of you. It's okay Betty." He comforts, and I snuggle further into his embrace.

"I love you Daddy." 

"And I love you, my sweet Betty." 

A knock on my car door pulls me out of the memory. I look over and Jughead's smiling face fills my view, and my heart flutters at the sight of him. I open the door and slide out, slamming the door shut behind me. He embraces me and nuzzles his face into the crook of my neck, leaving little kisses there. I feel the tension in my body relax a little, but it comes back when I remember what I have to tell him. He feels my rigid body and pulls away, cupping my face in his large, soft hands and scanning my face for any sort of explanation as to why I'm being like this. 

"Are you okay, Betts?" He asks. I'm sure he expected me to pounce on him and litter his face with kisses, considering I haven't seen him in two weeks due to him being at Stonewall Prep. 

I plaster on a small smile and nod, reaching up to plant a soft kiss on his lips, which he gladly returns. He grabs my hand, and leads me up the stone steps and into my- our- house. The smell of spaghetti and garlic bread fill my nose as soon we cross the threshold. Jellybean is sat on the couch watching some teen drama show, and she looks away just long enough to give me a smile when she sees me enter the living room. I quickly smile back, and excuse myself to go up to my room. I hear Jug's footsteps pound up the steps behind me as I walk into our room, dropping my backpack on the ground by the door. I sit on the edge of the bed, and lace my fingers together in my lap to avoid digging my nails into my palms. Jughead is leaning against the doorframe and I feel his gaze on me as I fiddle with my fingers.