Take Me To Church

(Jordyn's POV)

After I've followed Angie to her room and shut the door behind me, I make my way to sit on her bed.

"You better get comfortable. It's a long story." I explain firstly.

She takes my suggestion and plops on her bed.

I tell her the short version on the story, trying to save time. Pausing every once in a while to answer a few of her many questions.

And slowly, I get to the part about Harry meeting my family, dredging the part of the story that will break her heart. But before I do, she interrupts.

"How is the long distance thing gonna work?" She wonders.

I look down at my lap that holds my fidgeting fingers, not being able to see her face when I finally break the news. "Um... we're not really doing the long distance thing."

"So... you're going to break up?" Her eyebrows pull tightly together in confusion.

"No... we came here because- Well of course I wanted them to meet Harry," I add in a rush. "but that wasn't my reason for coming back." I say, clearing my closing throat. "I'm..."

Come on, just say it. You have to. Rip the damn bandaid off.

Now!

"I'm moving to California." I admit, forcing my eyes to meet hers.

She sinks in herself with sadness and my heart shatters at the sight.

"I am so sorry this happening so out of the blue. I didn't plan any of this. It just... happened." I defend as my words run quickly off my lips. "I... I can't stay here. Come on, you know me. You know I'm not made to be a stay at home mom, in a small town. I meant to do more. To be more. It's in my blood. This is what I'm supposed to do." I say sure.

"I tried to explain that to the family but-

"What did they do?" She question in fear.

"They told me not to come back." I explain as tears fill my eyes for the hundredth time today.

"You don't have to leave. You can stay here-

"Angie. I can't." I hold her hand, trying to help my words sink in. "You know? It's not just about, Harry, right? I mean, I love him so much. Believe me. He's everything I've ever wanted. He's loving and humble and passionate, and compassionate. He's a truly amazing man. But, I'm not leaving just to be with him. I'm leaving so I can finally be myself for once."

A smile lights up my face as I think of the memories that I got to make these past few months. "When I was on tour... I was free. I was happy. I am happy. With him. All I've ever wanted was an opportunity like this. I've always wanted more. And I don't mean money or fame, but love and acceptance. Harry gives me that. And even if he hadn't, I still would've left eventually. I never wanted to stay in Pickens. This is just a little faster than I planned on leaving. Please, can you try to understand that?" I question, not having an idea what her answer will be.

She loves me. She has to understand this. She will. Right?

"You're happy?" She asks to be positive, trying to rub the wrinkle in between her eyebrows away.

"Happier than I ever thought I could be." I inform with wholehearted honesty.

She sighs a long sigh. "You being so far away," She cringes. "I don't like it."

"I know." I give my head a little nod.

"But... I love you. And I don't want you to be miserable. Which you would be if you stayed here?"