Chapter 44//Troye

Troye

_______________

We walk back to the picnic tables and I'm glad to see that Tyler and I aren't the last ones to arrive back here. Most of them are here though and they are moving to field where I see two ropes about fifteen  feet from each other. Tyler pulls me in the direction of the ropes and the last two people, Ana and Trevor, arrive looking down at the ropes with confusion. One person, other than Will and Stephie, seems to know what is going on. Shane is looking at the ropes with an almost terrified expression on his face, but it looks like he know exactly what is about to happen. 

Will motions for us to step behind one of the ropes and then I realize that we are probably going to be walking to the other line. Will doesn't look too pleased with the order that we've put ourselves in. He doesn't say anything just moving the couples and best friends away from each other. Eventually I end up standing with Chris on one side of me and Grace Helbig on the other side of me. I'm starting to get nervous wondering what this challenge could really have in store for us. These challenges are always emotional or they are trying to teach us something. I feel like this is probably going to be a mixture of both.

"Shane seems to be the only one who has any idea to what we are doing. We are going to be doing a little challenge that I like to call the 'Walk the line' challenge." Will looks up and down the line watching for our reactions. I've done a version of this before but I lied. I didn't move from the line once the last time I did it. I'm not going to lie to these people though. I feel like I need to step out of my comfort zone and try to trust these people. I've already made so many new friends this year. Why shouldn't I try to make even more? I've talked to Tyler about my trust issues before and he says that I'm never going to get anywhere or make any new friends if I don't trust them at least a little bit. He's really helped me. He knows how to tell me something. He knows what I need to hear, when I need to hear it.

"I'm going to make statements. If that thing has ever happened to you please step onto the line, then turn around to face your peers. I will then ask you to return to your original position. Some of these questions may be more difficult then others to be truthful about. Remember that we are here to learn and grow as people and to build stronger relationships with our groups. Truth and Trust are two very important keys of a successful group. Please remain quiet during this challenge." Ms. Kale, I mean Stephie, says looking down the line making sure to make eye contact with every single student as she speaks. "Alright then. First statement. If you have ever been forced against your will to do something you didn't want to by a peer please step onto the line."

I take a deep breath knowing that I need to step up onto the line but my legs won't move. I see my fellow peers walking onto the line and turning around to face me with looks of displeasure on their faces. I think of running out of Austin's room after what he did to me and my legs finally move me forward to the other line. I turn to see about ten people left on the other line. I also see that Yovanna has joined in the activity and he's on the line with me.

"Please return to your original position." We walk quickly back to the line and I try my very hardest to banish the thoughts of Austin violating me. I start thinking about all the things that I've done with Tyler and that successfully empties my mind of that nasty football captain. "If you have ever been teased, harassed, or excluded because of your perceived or actual sexuality please step onto the line."

My legs act on their own walking me forward and turning me around. Words that I don't want to be thinking of are buzzing through my head. Jared's words are running through my head. Every word that Marcus has said to me. All the times I have heard countless people say 'he's so gay' or 'what a faggot' directed towards me. It feels like I'm reliving every beating Marcus has ever given me. Its a pain that I hate. Its hot anger and the reminder that I used to think they were right when they called me worthless. My heart is pounding in my chest and I can feel tears starting to form in my eyes. I blink quickly as I hear Stephie telling us to return to the line. I walk back looking over to see that a decent amount of people had been on the line with me. Including my boyfriend of course. That makes me want to slap anyone who has ever called my baby a bad name.