59

>>Word count; 1107<<

~Katherine's Pov~The next day~

We all ran out of the cell block with weapons hearing screams coming from outside. "Walkers in D!" Glenn called out. "What about C?!" Rick called out running to us. "Clear!" i called out looking at him, "We locked the gates to the tombs. Hershel's on watch." Sasha said as we caught up to him. "It ain't a breach!" Daryl called out as we ran to Cell block D. "We followed the plan!" Sasha called out too. We got inside and saw Walkers biting people, there were bodies on the floor, everyone was screaming and running. The ones who were in here were locked in cells to keep them safe. The final walker went down, "Are we clear down here?! We're safe?!" Rick called out. "Yeah- yeah." Sasha called out.

Glenn and I were up here checking out the cells. A walker came out of the cell and attacked Glenn grabbing his arms. "Shit-" I ran to him and stabbed the walker, grabbing it and pulling it off of him. "Are you okay.?" I asked looking at him. He nodded looking up at me. I helped him up, "Thanks." He said looking at his arms. I looked at his arms too and turned them around. "I'm good." He said looking at me. I nodded a bit and looked at him. Daryl and Rick stepped up here too. They walked down to check the rest of the cells too. "That's Patrick." Daryl said looking down at the walker i took down. I sighed a bit, "That's all of them." He said and looked at me. "You alright.?" He asked looking at me. I nodded fixing my ponytail. We went room to room stabbing then in the head so they wouldn't turn, it was hard. These were people we knew.. but we had to get it done.

Hershel and Dr. S were here now because something seemed off about the people or- walkers now.. i guess. "No bites. No wounds. I think he just died." Rick said as we looked at the body. "Horribly too. Pleurisy Aspiration." Dr. S said. "Chocked to death on his own blood. Caused those trails down his face." Hershel said. "Jesus.." I whispered. "I've seen them before on a walker outside the fences." Rick said. "Saw them on Patrick too." Daryl said. "They're from the internal lung pressure building up- Like if you shake a soda can and pop the top. Only imagine your eyes, ears and throat are the top." Dr. S said. "It's a sickness from the walkers?" Bob asked. "No, these things happened before they were around. Could be pneumococcal, most likely an aggressive flu strain." Dr. S said looking up at us. "Someone locked him in just in time." Hershel said looking down at the body.

"Nah man, Charlie used to sleepwalk. Locked himself in. Hell, he was just eating barbecue yesterday. How can somebody die in a day just from a cold.?" Daryl asked. "I had a sick pig, died quick. Saw a sick boar in the woods." Rick said, I looked over at Hershel. "Pigs and Birds. That's how these things spread in the past. We need to do something about those hogs." Hershel said. "Maybe we got lucky. Maybe these two cases are it." Dr. S said. "If this sickness spreads then it's unlikely they're the only two.. I mean there were a lot of people in this cell block.." I said looking at everyone. "And now we're all here way too close to the body- yeah no.." I said taking a step back. "All of us in here, we've all been exposed." Hershel said. We all walked out of the cell block.

I shook my head, "Okay um.. we need to have a meeting. Figure out the next move." I said looking at Hershel, "Gather everyone in the council." He said, I nodded and we all walked out of the cell block.

~At the meeting~

"Patrick was fine yesterday and he died overnight." Carol said. Daryl, Glenn, Sasha, Hershel and I were here discussing about what we were gonna do next. "Two people died that quick?" She asked looking at all of us. "We'll have to separate everyone that's been exposed." She said. "That's everyone in that cell block. That's all of us. Maybe more." Daryl said. "We know that this sickness can be lethal. We don't know how easily it spreads. Is anyone else showing symptoms that we know of.?" Hershel asked. "We can't just wait and see. There's children. It isn't just the illness. People die, they become a threat." Carol said.

"We need a place for them to go. They can't stay in D. We can't risk going in there to clean it up." Hershel asked. "We can use cell block A." Carol said. "Death row? I'm not sure that's uch of an upgrade." Glenn said. "We really don't have a choice do we?" i asked sighing and covering my face for a second, putting my elbows on the table, I ran my hands up to my head. "Whatever we gotta do, we gotta do it quick." I said shaking my head and leaning back on the chair. "Think that'll work for Dr. S?" Daryl asked. "I'll help Caleb get it set up." Hershel said, I nodded a bit. We started hearing coughing coming from outside, it was coming from a woman. We all stood up and went over to see who it was. "You okay?" We heard a voice. "Mhm." The woman said. "You sure? You don't sound so good." Carol said. We saw it was Tyreese and Karen.

"We're just taking her back to my cell so she can get some rest." Tyreese said rubbing her arm. "Tyreese, i don't think that's a good idea." Hershel said. "Why? What's going on now?" Karen asked looking at Hershel. "We think it's a flu or something. That's how Patrick died." Glenn said. "Judith was is that cell block. She's vulnerable. Anyone that may be sick or even exposed should stay away." Hershel said. "It killed Patrick.?" Karen asked scared. "She's gonna be okay. Now that we know what Patrick died from we can treat it right?" Tyreese asked. "Don't panic, we're gonna figure this out. But we should keep you separated in the meantime. I'll see what we have in the way of medications." Hershel said. "David from the Decatur going, he's been coughing too." She said, it's already spreading.

"I'll go get him. There's some empty clean cells in the tombs right.?" Glenn asked. "Yeah we'll meet you there." Sasha said. "I'll set them up." i said and walked away from them too.