30 // growing up

"Can we go out on a date?"

That sentence echoes repeatedly in Jena's head, heart accelerating every time her memory turns back to that moment. She took small glances towards Yunho, sitting diagonally from where she's sitting. The boy looks as equally as lost, might be or might not be from the recent events.

"Sure."

The reply given to him was as equally as flustering. He had no expectations towards whatever that is coming to him, hence getting taken aback by Jena's reply. The boys had given him a small pep talk, ushering him to taking her out. Well, Jane actually did the biggest part on that.

Their eyes accidentally met and both looked away as equally as fast. The boy choked on his chicken and hit his chest repeatedly, Mingi beside him offers Yunho his coke to help him wash it down. "Thanks." Jena presses her lips into a thin line, her hands playing with her straw. Their awkward, at least for the two, their meal ended pretty fast and Wooyoung being Wooyoung, suggested to go on another round of food.

The rest of the kids agreed on this, and Jena reluctantly follows. They ended up going on their local tteokboki place and ordered more food, this time, the boys and also Jane, caught on to Jena's and Yunho's previously very awkward situation and made them sit together. "So! What did Yunho tell you?" Wooyoung set his elbows down on the table and supported his face with his hands, leaning towards Jena. "Tell her what?" Yunho asked in return, Wooyoung clicks his tongue and shakes his head. "Buddy, you volunteered to drive her, alone, what could you possibly not say?" By then, all of the attention went to the trio.

Jena squirmed in her seat, feeling slight uncomfortable from the sudden attention. "Just, some things." She said, hoping to end the conversation right there. "Really? I'm pretty sure that he was about to a—" Yeosang said but then got cut off, "Stop it, if they said it's nothing then it's nothing." Jane saw how the both of them got more uncomfortable. Funny thing is that when Yunho was with Jane, he acted as if he was the toughest, manliest, and most daring man in the world, but now that he has something going on with Jena, Yunho seems so cute and small, ironic to his body proportions, so shy and easily flustered.

The table got quiet for a while, but knowing the boys, in no matter of time, the table was filled once again with laughter and might have gotten a few complaints here and there. Like any normal friend group, they were sharing stories, episodes that some of them might not know. They could say that their afternoon was well spent together and before they know it, it is already almost night time. They got up and went home in their respective rides, Yunho was about to offer Jena a ride home, like the gentleman he is, but Jane pulls her away. "No thanks Yunho, she's going with me." Before he got to say anything, Jane shoves Jena into her vehicle and drove away, saying goodbye to their friends.

They rode in silence, belly filled with food and minds tired, needing some rest. "Did he ask you out?" Jane asked. Her sister turns her head towards her, lowering her head before nodding slowly, "How did you know?" Jena asked timidly, Jane chuckles and glanced towards her briefly, "I'm the one who made him, can't stand seeing you like a lost lovestruck baby." Jena opens her mouth and closes it repeatedly, "What— Whe— How did you know that I like him?" She finally said after looking for the correct words. Jane smiles knowingly, "Baby sister, I know you well like the back of my hands," She uselessly held her hand up, and Jena unknowingly stares at it too, "Maybe I was too preoccupied with everything going on with San, that I realized too late."

"I am truly happy for you, seriously. You finally found another source of happiness, other than studying, that weird kink of yours." Jane pulls up on their driveway, parking her car into the garage. "But I need to ask you this, since when did you like him?" Jane opens the backdoor and enters the kitchen, setting her keys down. Jena follows suit, setting her bag down and washes her hands cause, ✨𝓱𝔂𝓰𝓲𝓮𝓷𝓮✨, "I— promise you won't get mad or anything?" She dries her hands and looks over at Jane, "Have I ever got mad at you for something very trivial? Actually, for anything" Jane picks up her glass and pours water into it.

Jena presses her lips into a line and sighs, "Since, your, finals?" Her voice got quiet at the end of the question like statement, but of course, it didn't go unnoticed by Jane. "What? Before I broke up with him?" Jane eyes went wide, her obviously not expecting that answer. At this point, her facial expressions were unreadable, and that freaks Jena out. Before Jena could do anything or explain anything, Jane bursts out laughing. "Oh my goodness, I didn't expect that to be that long of a crush, My baby sister is all grown now." She puts her cup down and continues to laugh. Jena, being put in a weird situation just stood there, being lost.

"You're not mad?" Jena slowly approaches her, "No! Why would I be?" Jane wipes a tear and shook her head. "I mean, I had the audacity to like your ex boyfriend when you were still with him, to the extent of," Jena lowers her head, "moving to KQ." Jane raises both of her eyebrows, another unexpected fact hitting her. "You what?" Jena looks up at her, "That's, crazy." Jane chuckles, not believing what her usually known anti-social sister did for her biggest crush. "You're a different Jena now, you're a lovestruck Jena." Jane washes her cup and picks her keys, leaving Jena in the kitchen. Before she goes upstairs, Jane looks back, "Good luck on your date, Baby sis!" Then Jane zooms upstairs, leaving Jena confused from her weird demeanor just then.

"YOU'RE GOING ON A DATE?!" Ah, now Jena understands Jane's weird behavior, her dad was entering from the back door. "Uhh, Hi dad?" Jena turns around to see a red faced Mr. Shin, eyes bulging out from being surprised. "JENA IS GOING ON A WHAT?!" A much younger voice joins in, her annoying brother's head popping out from the staircase. "You better explain this young lady." Jayden crosses his arms and went down the stairs. And what could Jena possibly do? She yeets.

I'm just kidding.

"Shin Jane! You're so dead!"