34 // chocolate cookies

Opening her eyes, Jena stares at her room's ceiling for quite a while, the dreaded day finally here. She had slept and woken up at dawn, her heart rate accelerating as every time she tried to sleep, her head bringing her back to the recent events. As soon as she got the chance to rest, her dream factory decides to project another painful memory from the past, the smell and feeling of rotten milk and cigarette reappearing for Jena. She blankly stares at her ceiling, seeing the constellations she had drawn when astronomy is in it's peak on Jena's favorite. The door to her room opens slightly, Jayden's head poking in. "Baby sister." He calls, but got no response in return.

Jayden approaches her, sitting on the empty space beside her, "Jena my beautiful sister." He calls out once again. Seeing that Jena acknowledges his presence, Jayden cups her face. From the simple gesture, Jena tears up, breathing got more unstable and rigged. "Do you want to skip school?" Jayden softly asks, Jena pauses for a while, but then nods, deciding that she needs it. Being the best brother ever, Jayden smiles, "I'll tell mom and dad to call school then." Jayden kisses her cheeks and went outside, closing the door along the way.

Jena closes and opens her eyes slowly and repeatedly, while sighing a few times. After a while of not moving, the door opens again, Jane the one opening it. She had the biggest frown on her face, seeing Jena motionless like that, reminding Jane of the dark days. "I will protect you, no matter what, so please, don't let it bother you." Jane says from the door frame, Jena lifts her hand up, and flicks it, telling her to go to school already. Her mom had told the whole household about the encounter when they got home yesterday. When Jena headed straight into her room, not even greeting them yesterday, the family got the gist of something wrong and especially with the guilty look on Mrs. Shin's face, they knew something was up.

Mr. Shin was enraged after learning that fact, and so are Jane and Jayden, but what can they do? Mr. Lee is also as important in the world of medic as Shin Heejung in the world of business, one word from him, and the world bows down. If that man ever says anything about Mr. Shin's clinic, he would probably need to shut it down, then again, the clinic was actually underneath Yuwan Hospital.

After Jane finally leaving the room, Mr. Shin took his turn, "My baby daughter," He walks in, pulling Jena up to a sitting posture, "Let's eat. I made your favorite." Mr. Shin said, fixing Jena's hair. Jena follows reluctantly, following her dad downstairs. In the dining area, Mrs. Shin sat there and ate her toast, a pair of reading glasses set on the bridge of her nose as she reads her company's accounting statement. Her dad made her sit and serves Jena her favorite cereal and milk. Looking at her dad's 'hardwork' Jena can't help but to stifle a laugh, "Is this what you meant by 'made your favorite'? Pouring milk into a bowl of already premade cereal?" Jena laughs, lifting her spoon.

Mr. Shin and Mrs. Shin smiles in relief, glad that their daughter is feeling better, "Does my daughter wants to come with her mom?" Mrs. Shin offers, "I would be lonely at the office now that Ms. Oh is on her sick leave." Her mom said, arranging her papers into a meat file and taking off her glasses. "I can go?" Jena points at herself, to which Mrs. Shin replies to with curt nod and small smile, knowing that Jena really likes her office. "Of course! Heck yeah!" Jena said, she finishes her cereal and rushes upstairs, getting ready. She got her dress shirt and pair of slacks, and took her usual bag with her. Her mom went out of her room, already fully dressed and ready for her job today.

Jena offers her mom to drive for her instead, wanting to arrive as soon as possible. "If a passerby saw this situation they would probably think that we're going to Lotte World." Mrs. Shin chuckles, seeing her daughter excited for something she's not. "Mom will be in a meeting with Mr.Wong and his employees today," Mrs. Shin applies another layer of lipstick, "So you could just spend your time in my office, looking through datas and such." Jena replies with an excited yes, wearing her sunglass to block out the sight blinding rays.

They got off the lobby, Mrs. Shin's personal assistant parking the car for them. Jena follows her mom, now giving off a completely different vibe, as she tells her employees what to do. "Get Madame Tan on the line, I'll talk to her myself." followed by lines like, 'Tell the Management Department to finish this by noon' or something like, 'Tell the Planning Department and this project's core team to the meeting room at nine' and once again, Jena got awed by this rare sight. They entered the elevator and it brought them to the top floor, the CEO's office.

"Good morning Ma'am," The head accountant for the company greets Mrs. Shin, "I have this month's statement, should I leave it on your desk for you to check or let Mr. Song check it?" She hands her a file, sealed with the company's logo. "Give it to my daughter, she will check it instead." The accountant was hesitant for quite a while but then hands it over to Jena. After she left, Mrs. Shin got her files and materials for the meeting, "You stay here okay, Mom will be finished soon." She kissed her daughter's forehead and leaves.

Jena cautiously took a seat at the CEO's desk, opening the file with care. She scans the document, marking a few things on a pad of paper that seems odd to her. After quite a while, Jena finished her work and stretches on the chair, making a mental note to tell her mom to get a new and better chair. She decides to go down and explore the building, instead of sitting there doing nothing. After making sure that the lights were off and a note was left, Jena steps into the elevator. She presses the ground floor's button and waits for the elevator to go down. She waits silently as she watches the small TV placed in the lift, today's news playing on it.

As she fiddles around, the lift opens and she was met with someone she knows, "Hendery?" She points at the person who was about to enter it, "Jena?" Hendery smiles at her and got in, pulling his hand back now that he saw the ground floor's button pressed already. "What are you doing here?" Hendery asked but before Jena got the chance to answer, Hendery beats her to it, "What am I thinking, this is your mom's company, of course that's why." He chuckles. "And I assume that you're here because of your dad?" Jena asks and he confirms. They got off the elevator and went to the café inside of this building.

"I'm glad that you're fine." Hendery said as they took their seat, "Considering on how you were bawling your eyes out on Saturday." He took a sip on his drink and Jena smiled softly, "Thanks for that day though, I don't know what I'd do without you." She took out the cookie from the paper bag and bit into it. "So, are you still bothered by whatever is bothering you on Saturday?" Hendery said again, trying to make sure that everything's fine. "Maybe." Jena said. The table was filled with silence, contrary to the bustling crowd of employees around them, getting their usual dose of caffeine.

Jena sighs, deciding to tell Hendery everything. She doesn't know why, and what makes her want to tell him everything but, one thing's for sure is that Hendery is a good listener, and a good friend. Not to mention that he would be a good and the biggest rival for Jeong Yunho.
🌱
ahahahahaha🤡🔪

i'm craving for some Starbucks cookies rn, hence the title😔