50 // protection squad

"So? What are you gonna do?"

Hendery, on the other line, had asked her, She had just told him what had happened earlier that day. The two are on their usual face time, the boy had been busy for the past few days, skipping their routine. "I guess I'll talk to Sehui about this." Jena fixes her laptop onto her study desk, her books between her and the screen. "Putting Yeoreum aside, how are you these days?" Hendery asked, combing through his hair with his fingers. "Just, fine." Jena said, pausing her writing on her notes, her previous ones were destroyed so there she is, rewriting everything down. "Nothing with the giant dude?" Jena shakes her head, "He apologized, but nothing else? Is that guy serious? Heck, is he even serious with you?"

Jena purses her lips, taking in Hendery's words one by one. He was the one who had Jena's back when half of the boys weren't, and Hendery was also the one to be there for her, and listen to her worries, stories, and rants. She would lie if she said that her heart didn't do flips and was not fluttered by Hendery's gentleme— no, prince-like attitude and manners. "I'm scared, Dery." Jena stares at the blank page of her notebook, "What if all those feelings were just a momentary infatuation? What if I mistook admiration for love? What if it turns out that I actually don't have any feelings for him?" Jena averts her stare to her laptop screen, seeing Hendery stay silent, staring towards his laptop's screen also.

"That sounds tough." Adding to Jena's dismay, which she should've seen it coming, Hendery laughs instead, not giving her any piece of advice, heck, even comfort. "I am no master in love and it's affairs Jen, but I do know that you should clear this up."  He smiles gently, propping his head on his hand and nods slowly. "How? Closure? Another date? Confrontation?" Hendery shrugs, "How could I know?" He then laughs again, "But one thing's for sure Jen, I won't ever leave you.", Jena sighs, choosing to think about her love life another day,

It's a problem for future Jena, present Jena needs to deal with another fou— five, notes to rewrite

"Whatever, I don't care." She shakes her head, focusing back to her notes, "Oh, how's Mr. Wong doing these days? I heard he's planning on retiring soon." Mr. Wong is a sickly and weak man is his mid seventies, You might wonder, how could his children be that young? Well, the Wong household wasn't blessed with any child twenty, even more, years into their marriage before Madame Wong decided to adopt Hendery, and Lucas, two different babies from two different families that they had lost since birth.

"He's recovering, Dad has been straining himself too much, his anemia strikes." Even in that situation, Hendery chuckles. It amazes the girl on how calm and composed this boy is, if Jena were to be in his shoes, she would break down, hard. "I think we're gonna visit soon though." Jena nods, overhearing the conversation between her parents. "Oh right, have you heard about the upcoming birthday party for the Yang Apparels daughter?" Hendery said, scratching his face, Jena shakes her head, surprised on the fact that the Yangs have a daughter. "Well yeah you're sticking with me. I am very sure that Crescent Productions is getting that invite." Jena furrows her eyebrows, "How are you so sure?".

Hendery lets another chuckle out, "Their daughter is a 'rising actress' or that's what they believe." Hendery quotes, "Your family's company is the largest film, drama, and show productions Jen, how could they not?" Jena 'oh'-ed, the information completely new to her ears. "Ooh, Jen." Hendery calls, taking her attention, "Your prince is summoned, gotta go!" He waves to the camera, which she mirrors, and ends the call. Jena closes her laptop and continues her activity, what she had been doing for the whole evening.

The door to her room opens and a head peeks in, the pair of eyes roam the room, looking for the subject in need. "Hey sweetheart." Jena looks at the source of the voice, smiling at the person entering her room, "Hey dad, what's up?" Mr. Shin smiles back, walking towards his daughter, "Have you eaten already? Mom made dinner." He caresses Jena's hair, smiling gently. Jena shakes her head, "I'll be down soon." Mr. Shin left the room, leaving Jena to tidy her desk up and go downstairs, the rest of the Shins sitting on the dinner table, leaving a spot for her. "Sweetie, come and have dinner with us." Mrs. Shin stood up and pulled the empty chair so that Jena can sit on it.

The woman was finally able to leave her office after having to work late for two nights straight, and she decided to cook the family's favorite, a full hanwoo set. "So anyways, we had semifinals yesterday, right." Jayden proceeds to tell the family of five what he had experienced yesterday, apparently, some dude from the opposing team was caught cheating, and the committee had the team disqualified on the first quarter, leaving the coach of the opposing team furious and bewildered. "He was kneeling on the floor, sobbing." Jayden said, "Quite the image for a 5'11 man." He laughs, cackling for quite a long time. "Say for yourself," Mr. Shin 'tsk'-ed, "You cried over the fact that Jena won an argument over you." He chuckles.

Jayden's face got red, "T-That was," He stutters, "That was a long time ago!" He threw his hands, "Yeah, like, four months ago." Jane adds, getting another perilla leaf for her ssam, "You can't win her over Jade, never." Mrs. Shin chuckles, teasing her only son. "Leave the brains to Jena, you just need to do good in sport and woo the women." Mr. Shin pats Jayden's head, leaving him redder and flustered. The next thing coming out of his mouth was not even able to be understood, just some mumblings. Jena was quietly laughing and eating from the side, her mind going back to earlier that day.

"You sure? Don't forget that I can hurt your family, and friends."

"So think twice before you regret."

God. She would really hate it if something happens to them. And for we-don't-know-how-much-times, Jena doubts her choice.

Should I not?
🌱
roses are red
violets are blue
hey all of you
this book is ending soon