19

As Shen Zhixian gripped Yan Jin with his right hand, his left hand clung to the edge of the cliff to prevent himself from being dragged down.

The small jade bottle had rolled not far from where his right hand was clasping on to Yan Jin. As long as he let go of Yan Jin’s hand, he would be able to grab it with ease. But, from beginning to end, his grip on Yan Jin remained firm.

Yan Jin wanted to catch the jade bottle for Shen Zhixian, but it merciless brushed pass his fingertips and sailed down the cliff.   

The cliff was so high that the little jade bottle’s fall became silence almost immediately.   

Shen Zhixian gritted his teeth and began to pull the person up. But, half of the serpent was still rolling and spasming. It slammed into the hand holding Yan Jin and the serpent’s head snapped forward, suddenly opening its mouth to bite Shen Zhixian’s hand!

If its mouth had managed to close, Shen Zhixian’s hand would have been cut in two.   

Jaws clenched tight, Shen Zhixian released his hold on the cliff’s edge long enough to quickly grab the serpent and pulled it off him. The serpent’s teeth were sharp, truly worthy of easily piercing flesh. The venom had barely managed to spray out a little before Shen Zhixian threw the serpent over the cliff.

The momentum exerted by this throw caused Shen Zhixian’s body to drag forward until most of his upper body was hanging off the cliff.

But he still held Yan Jin's hand tightly.

Yan Jin's mask of silence was finally broken. He restrained the complex emotions in his heart, only to find out that his voice was tight, so tight that he could only shout "Master" and could no longer say anything else.

The gray serpent’s blood was pungent and sticky, making Shen Zhixian’s head feel faint. It took him a long time to pull Yan Jin up.

Heart pounding wildly, he closed his eyes and endured a moment of dizziness. Not saying a word to Yan Jin, he staggered away from the edge of the cliff and sat down against a sturdy tree, sighing tiredly.   

Yan Jin, who had been on the verge of death, was better off than Shen Zhixian. He hurriedly followed, tearing his sleeve to wipe away the dirty blood on Shen Zhixian’s hand.

Shen Zhixian supported himself with his long legs. One hand was held by Yan Jin while the other hand was arbitrarily placed on one knee. As his back leaned against the trunk, his head was slightly tilted, his eyes closed and his breath coming out in soft pants.  

If one were to ignore his blood-stained lips, one would say that he currently looked like a swordsman who’d walked the horizon with sword in hand and who’d came here to rest away his fatigue, looking both casual and wanton.   

Yan Jin knew that Shen Zhixian was exhausted. The gray serpent had attacked without any warning, right as Shen Zhixian was about to take his medicine. Not only did he not manage to eat his medicine, but he’d undergone such a trail and was even bitten by the serpent.

Fortunately, the gray serpent’s poison was not lethal. It could only make the person feel dizzy and befuddled. Ordinary people would remain this way for two to three days. Now that Shen Zhixian was in this situation, he would likely be affected for at least half the night.

“Master, why...didn’t you just let me go?”

Yan Jin’s question drew Shen Zhixian’s attention back. Shen Zhixian half-opened his eyes, squinting as he looked at Yan Jin.

The young man was kneeling in front of him, his expression grave, as if he was a small beast that had done something naughty and was anxiously waiting for an unknown punishment