75

Yan Jin didn’t say anything. Only when Shen Zhixian finally let go of his hand did he lower his eyes, concealing the trace of unhappiness within those depths.

Red flashed over his eyes, but he quickly suppressed it.

After Shen Zhixian let go of Yan Jin’s hand, he changed the topic. Walking over to Xue Ci, he asked, “Did you just come in?”

Xue Ci and Lian Qin glanced at each other and shook their heads.

Xue Ci said, “I’ve been in for a while. It was dark when I first came in but, later, I walked through a very narrow path with night pearls on the wall. There was a stone door at the end of the path…”

Normal people would want to push open the stone door. But, Xue Ci didn’t. When he touched the stone door, he felt a strong, dangerous breath on the other side. He hesitated for a while but didn’t try to open it. Eventually, he dropped his hand and stepped back slightly.

As he stepped back, he stumbled over a night pearl that had appeared on the floor out of nowhere.  

Xue Ci responded quickly and immediately used the stone wall to support himself. As he was thinking about how a night pearl could have fallen so silently from where it was embedded in the wall, he raised his eyes and saw a horrifying creature. Half of its body was buried in the stone door and it was looking at him hungrily.

The demon beast began to twist its body, as if trying to come through.

The terrain was very narrow and was not at all conducive to fighting. Xue Ci only hesitated for a moment before he turned and ran.

He used spiritual power and ran quickly, but the demon beast was very fast. With a roared, it fell from the stone door, dropped to the floor on all four legs, and began chasing after Xue Ci.

The demon beast’s smelly breath sprayed the back of Xue Ci’s bare neck and he could feel something wet and sticky there. Xue Ci thought of the demon beast’s disgusting saliva and he ran faster and faster.

But no matter how quickly he ran, the spirit beast also followed quickly. After a while, Xue Ci took a moment to look back. But, when he was about to turn around, he once again felt as if the demon beast was very close behind him and could even feel its breath spraying the back of his neck once more.

“Later, I ran out of the path with the monster still chasing me. There was darkness in front of me and I couldn’t use a spell to illuminate the path. Then, I fell into a pool of water…” Xue Ci continued, his frown deepening. “After I dropped into the water, I immediately knew that the situation was very bad. I tried in vain to find the banks but found that the demon beast was waiting for me there. On the water, there were also many other things….”

He tried to use a spell to raise the rocks at the bottom but found that they refused to bulge. The things in the water were already very close at hand. Xue Ci saw that there were too many of them and the only thing he could do was swim desperately forward. The surroundings were very dark so when he saw a ray of light in the distance, he instinctively began swimming toward the light. He didn’t know how long he’d swam before suddenly becoming aware that there were no longer any movements behind him at all.

Once he realized this, he began to sink. No matter how he struggled, he couldn’t remain afloat in the water. The water seemed to rush over him in all directions. He used a spell to protect himself from the water and, in the next moment, he found himself standing on the ground in the dark. The water had silently disappeared completely. A bright light entered his eyes and he involuntarily blinked.

When he opened his eyes, he found that he was in a stoop posture with his hand reaching out, as if to pick up the night pearl on the ground. There was a rumbling sound and the stone door flew open. Lian Qin suddenly wildly rushed out, looking as if he was going to smash someone with his guqin at any moment.