55

Yan Shen has always known that his qualifications were mediocre. He was just an ordinary person with the good fortune to enter Qingyun Sect.

This good luck was due to Song Ming.

When Song Ming saw him, he looked at him for a long time. Then, he said indifferently, “Your qualifications are very ordinary. But, as long as you work hard, it is not impossible.”

This sentence ignited a fire in Yan Shen's heart.

If he had been an ordinary person, perhaps he wouldn’t think so much. But, Song Ming brought him back to Qingyun Sect and paved a path for him that seemed magnanimous and wide. It made him greedy, made him unwilling to return to obscurity.

Perhaps, Song Ming settled on him because he could sense that Yan Shen had a temperament that made him want to strive for success, by fair means or foul.

Song Ming took a chance and pretended to inadvertently introduce him to Shen Zhixian. At the time, Shen Zhixian had already accepted Yan Jin as his disciple. When he saw Yan Shen, he only let out a snort that hinted at his disagreement, but he did not refuse outright.

Yan Shen worshiped this kind of master. He originally thought that this was the beginning of a bright and glorious future. But, he later discovered himself in a deep hole. His aptitude for cultivation was not good, but as a common-borned person, he quickly thought of countermeasures.

He vaguely speculated that Song Ming might not feel so friendly toward Shen Zhixian under the surface. And, due to his heart ailment, Shen Zhixian’s temperament was uncertain. Moreover, his relationship with his disciple, Yan Jin, was extremely bad.

Yan Shen secretly figured out these relationships. He didn’t care what Song Ming thought about Shen Zhixian. He was more concerned about his current status. His goal was to become Shen Zhixian’s most dependable disciple.

This was actually what Song Ming had vaguely hinted to him. And, though he answered in affirmation on the surface, he actually had his own secret intentions in his heart. Although Shen Zhixian lost the position of sect leader of Qingyun Sect, he was still highly respected due his close relationship with the former sect leader. As long as Yan Shen became Shen Zhixian’s most valued disciple, his position within Qingyun Sect would…

Be tall and lofty, and not low.

Unfortunately, in front of him stood a talented Yan Jin, blocking his way.

Fortunately, Shen Zhixian didn’t seem to like Yan Jin one bit. One could say that he even loathe him. With a deep and great joy, Yan Shen tried hard to cultivate, wanting to make a name for himself in front of Shen Zhixian and gain his attention.

Everything was slowly moving forward in the direction he’d anticipated. But, he didn’t know why, after the Hidden Sword Pavilion incident, Shen Zhixian’s attitude toward Yan Jin suddenly changed. Instead of punishing him, he moved Yan Jin up to the peak and began to personally teach him.

Suddenly, Yan Shen was given the cold shoulder and was left alone in a corner. His fellow disciples observed for a while and began to quickly leave him one by one. Everyone kept a distance from him. A fire of jealousy and unwillingness burst uncontrollably to life in his heart. He began to make various plans in an attempt to pull Yan Jin down.

As he schemed, he began to discover more secrets. He’d always thought that Yan Jin entered Qingyun Sect by relying on his strength to become Shen Zhixian’s disciple. He didn’t expect that Yan Jin would turn out to be…

Someone that Song Ming had brought back from that place.

Currently, immortal cultivators opposed devil cultivators and the devil race. It was reported that, a long time ago, immortal cultivators united together and used various enchantments to seal and confine devil fiends to the wasteland, not allowing them to see the light of day.