54

The two leading roles in Qiongyu Sect’s Dao companion ceremony was Spiritual Master Qiongyu’s disciple, Xue Fengzhi, and Spiritual Master Qi Yu’s disciple, Lian Ru.

Both of them came to the sect very early on and practiced together from a young age. As a result, they developed deep feelings for one another and naturally decided to have a Dao companion ceremony to signify their commitment.

There was only one day left before the Dao companion ceremony. Xue Fengzhi paced a few laps within the confines of his room, his calm almost nonexistent. He was like an impatient adolescent.

He poured himself a cup of cold tea, barely suppressing the restlessness in his heart.

Quickly, quickly, he will soon see A’ru…. Soon, they would be able to stay together day and night and will never be separated.

He was still thinking about his sweetheart, when suddenly a knock came at the door. He snapped to attention. "Who is it?"

A familiar voice came, sounding like a junior sister. "Senior Brother Xue, Senior Brother Xue!"

The voice was urgent, propelling Xue Fengzhi to stride to the door and open it, saying loudly, “What’s wrong?”

The door opened, revealing the junior sister’s anxious and panicked expression. “Senior Brother Xue! Senior Sister Lian seems to be in trouble.

The moment Lian Ru was mentioned, Xue Fengzhi’s attention was one hundred percent engaged.

"What happened?" he said as he hurriedly went out. "What's so urgent?”

The junior sister shook her head in panic and said, “I, it wasn't clear. As I was passing her room, I heard Senior Sister Lian screamed. It startled me and I hurriedly asked what happened—Sister Lian won’t open the door and only asked me to invite Senior Brother Xue over.”

Xue Fengzhi also recognized who this junior sister was now. She was someone that Lian Ru had once praised as very talented. He rushed past her, afraid that Lian Ru might have met with a mishap. He didn’t suspect her at all and only hurriedly thanked her before leaving in a hurry.

The junior sister followed him a few steps. Seeing that he wasn’t paying attention to her, she gradually slowed down and eventually stood still.

She glanced at Xue Fengzhi's disappearing figure, and a stiff smile appeared at the corners of her mouth. Then she looked around, probably to carefully check her surroundings, and changed direction.

As Xue Fengzhi hurried to Lian Ru, he encountered many people along the way. However, he had no time to say hello and only rushed on.

The door to Lian Ru's room was tightly shut. He knocked a few times and called Lian Ru's name but no one answered.

Gritting his teeth, Xue Fengzhi tried to push the door open. The door was latched, meaning that Lian Ru should be inside the room.

But why hadn’t she responded?

Xue Fengzhi didn’t have time to think too much. His spiritual force surged and directly broke the door latch. Pushing open the door, he strode into the room. "A’ru?"

The woman sitting on the bed seemed to be in a daze. Waking up, she turned her head toward him and said, "Fengzhi? Why are you here?"

Xue Fengzhi looked at her normal appearance. It seemed that there was nothing serious. His heart settled and he smiled. “Little junior sister came to me and said you were in trouble and was looking for me. What’s wrong?”

He took a closer look at Lian Ru’s face and noticed that she looked abnormally pale. Worried, he said, “Are you uncomfortable? Why is your face so pale?”

Lian Ru moved slightly and shifted her body forward.