28

The child, who wasn't even tall enough to reach Shen Zhixian's waist looked up with a chubby face, childishly calling “Daddy” again and again.

His cries had shocked Shen Zhixian senseless, to the point that he feared he had somehow bred this little person back when he was still young and inexperienced.

Fortunately, Yan Jin’s “Sui Xian” had startled him back to his senses.

The little guy was still talking. Shen Zhixian raised his hand to rub his eyebrows. Then, he bent down half anxiously and rubbed the little guy's fluffy head. "Ok, don’t shout."

He hadn't coaxed anyone before, except little Yan Jin. This kid was still a child, while Yan Jin was already a youth at that time. Now that he’d grown up, except for the occasional nagging, Shen Zhixian didn't have to worry about trivial matters.

The little guy stared at him with watery eyes that looked as if they'd been coated with a layer of mist. His fleshy little hands held on to Shen Zhixian's sleeves, unwilling to let go.

Shen Zhixian was at a loss for a while. Finally, he awkwardly tried to coax the child. “You mustn’t call me daddy. I’m not your daddy. The sky’s already dark so why are you still out playing? Do you know where I can send you back?”

Out of these words, there were none that would actually coax a child.

As Yan Jin silently listened to him, he suddenly realized that, in these past years, when Master had given him all kinds of good food and magical treasures, he probably expended a lot of thoughts to do so.

Sure enough, the little guy didn’t hear the answer he wanted and began to cry loudly, calling “daddy.” He cried and cried until he began to hiccup.

Shen Zhixian was protected from a face full of tears by the sleeves of his garment. He took a deep breath, even as his head began to throb in pain. He was stiff and helpless and could only continue to dully say, “Don’t cry.”

He wanted to ask Yan Jin to help him, but Yan Jin just silently stood beside him, with absolutely no intention to speak. This terrible plight drove Shen Zhixian near tears. Finally, he couldn't take it anymore and lifted the kid up into his arms.

Startled, the little guy reached out with chubby hands to hold Shen Zhixuan's neck. His cries stopped suddenly. His face flushed red, and he seemed to be holding his breath.

Shen Zhixian held him with one hand and patted his back with the other. The little boy sucked in a breath and began to hiccup, as if finally understanding. He rubbed his fluffy head intimately against the side of Shen Zhixian’s jaw.

Yan Jin's originally calm and placid expression shifted slightly. A pair of eyes looked intensely at the little guy, whose eyes quivered at he looked back. His hold around Shen Zhixian’s neck tightened. “Daddy.”

Seeing that the little guy had stopped crying, Shen Zhixian was relieved. He no longer cared about being called “daddy” and whispered, “At last, he’s finally quiet….”

He noticed that although the child was crying, his clothes were neat and tidy, indicating that he must have been naughty and ran out while the adults were busy. Shen Zhixian told Yan Jin, "Let’s go and see who lost a child."

After he said this, he held the little guy and took a few steps forward. When he didn’t hear the sound of Yan Jin following, he stopped and looked back, only to see Yan Jin looking at him thoughtfully. “You seemed to be very skilled at holding a young child.”

Shen Zhixian didn’t pay attention to his words and merely wanted to boast. As he walked forward, he said, “It’s not difficult to hold a child. I’ve done it before. I used to…”