30

That day at the inn, Yan Jin arrived late and didn’t hear what the storyteller was saying. Then, he'd noticed Shen Zhixian and didn’t pay much attention to anything else.

He only faintly heard that it had something to do with Master and himself.

Yan Jin tilted his head to look at Shen Zhixian, who was sleeping soundly, his long eyelashes casting light shadows on his cheeks.

He hesitated for a moment and finally opened the book gently.

What could be written about Master and him?

Yan Jin, who originally only wanted to turn two pages at random to see what the book was about, kept on reading even after turning a few pages.

Because, everything he’d felt was written here…

But, it was so...

Yan Jin couldn't think of the right words that would accurately describe his mood. The expression on his face echoed his internal confusion. He stared blankly at the sleeping Shen Zhixian.

They hadn’t been separated during the entire journey. Master probably bought this book when he went into the bookstore. But, Master clearly told him at that time that he’d encountered a black boss and didn’t buy anything.

However, Yan Jin remembered that the owner had murmured that he’d sold a set...

Yan Jin's sight involuntarily fell on Shen Zhixian’s storage bag, which rested on the pillow next to him.

Fortunately, reason prevented him from reaching out for Shen Zhixian's storage bag.

The candle was on the verge of burning out. The wick, which had been burning for a long time, flickered and burst, startling him.

He pursed his lips, marked his spot on the book, and turned to blow out the candle. Afterward, he went to the window and used the moonlight to carefully read pages after pages.

..…............................

Shen Zhixian woke up in a daze, totally unaware of what had happened that night. The sky was already bright, and the morning light peered in through the half-opened window.

Because he hadn't gotten enough sleep, his mind was still muddy. At first, he thought he was in his own room, and so he skillfully rolled around happily and lazily in the comforter. Then, he noticed a figure from the corner of his eyes.

The inn was simple, with only a wooden bed, a wooden table, and two wooden stools.

At this time, Yan Jin was sitting upright on a wooden stool by the table.

Maybe it was his unconscious mumbling that disturbed the person who'd just closed his eyes, but Yan Jin opened his eyes and slowly turned to looked at him.

Shen Zhixian immediately grew sober. He jerked upright, laid down his hands and feet, tugged the comforter neatly, and sat up, tucking his hair behind his ears. He greeted Yan Jin.  "Good morning... What time is it?"

Because he’s just woken up, Shen Zhixian’s voice was still a little hoarse. He coughed twice, stood on barefoot, and poured a glass of water to drink.

The cultivator, who was only wearing a thin inner robe, looked unkempt and lazy. When he drank, his delicate Adam apple moved up and down. Because he was drinking too quickly, a tiny trail of water dripped down from the corner of his mouth. It rolled down his chin to his neck and disappeared into his loose collar.

Leaving behind a meandering water mark on his fair skin.

Yan Jin turned his head calmly. No one else knew that what flashed in his mind at that moment were these sentences from the book: "Dewdrop lifted Magnolia into his arms. Magnolia, who was tired and sleepy, rested his temple against Dewdrop’s shoulder, longing for sleep."