49

The painted skin demon could change into hundreds of faces. As a result, Shen Zhixian thought that it would take some effort to find her. But, who knew that she would run through the door by herself.

Thinking that this was too unexpected, he blocked the painted skin demon’s path and indirectly tried to her back into the room. The corners of the painted skin demon’s mouth lifted up into a smile. She said bashfully, “Don’t be so anxious. You must let slave prepare first...”

Her smile stretched. But, before it could completely widen, an imposing, invisible sword qi slammed into the door panel next to ear

A few fine strands of hair fluttered to the ground.

That faint sword ray came from Yan Jin, who silently resheath the sword he’d pulled out a fraction from the scabbard.

The painted skin demon straightened and politely held the door open for Shen Zhixian. “Young Master Sui, Young Master Yan, please.”

The servants in the next room were finally rescued by their belated companions. When they came to deliver tea, they were still somewhat terrified of the two men. They poured the tea with trembling hands and, once finished, hurried out.

Shen Zhixian went straight to the topic. “What is the Undead City that you mentioned yesterday?”

Yesterday, the painted skin demon sensed that they seemed to be interested in the Undead City. Today, she heard it again. She smiled and said, “But Madam Meng was a person who came out of the Undead City. Why are you asking me? You haven’t asked her?”

Her attitude toward Madam Meng seemed to be full of frivolousness. She joked without hesitation, "This Madam Meng is really loyal to Meng Yun. These two also haven’t..."

Yan Jin silently lifted his sword and rested it gently on the table, his thumb pressed against the sword hilt, as if prepared to pull out the sword at any moment.

“Ah-hem. The Undead City, it’s not a good place. It looked bright from the outside, but it’s actually a cage. Once you’re inside, it’s very hard to come out.” The painted skin demon raised her sleeve to cover her lips and coughed softly. “If you two planned to enter the Undead City, please be careful.”

“Why do you say this?”

When speaking of the Undead City, the charming smile on the painted skin demon’s face faded. She succinctly said, “It is said that in order to leave the Undead City, there is a price that must be paid.”

"What's the price?"

The painted skin demon indifferently lifted the cover from her teacup and took a leisurely sip. “I don’t know. I only know that when I saw Madam Meng about a hundred years ago, she was just a small thrush bird--Ah, with bright red tail feathers. Very good-looking.”

Shen Zhixian thought of the little bird that was hiding in the courtyard last night. Unfortunately, it was covered in mud and he didn’t see the little bird’s tail feathers.

That courtyard was very strange. It can be assumed that the identity of the little chirping bird they’d found there wasn’t simple. It was also hard to tell what type of relationship it might have with Madam Meng.

Spirit seals and rusty locks. Madam Meng haunting the courtyard in the middle of the night. The little bird who’d escaped certain death. The difficult-to-leave Undead City.

It was as if there was an invisible thread connecting them.

Shen Zhixian felt that he'd hit upon the general truth, but the details were still elusive and there was no evidence.