45

The pleasure boats were brightly lit, thrumming with the melodic sound of reed pipes. People came and went, filling the boats with activities and displaying every and all kinds of postures.

Abroad the luxurious and exquisitely decorated pleasure boats, dainty figures with rouged cheeks and painted make-ups called out in delicate voices to customers. The wind playfully teased their pleated skirts embroidered with flowers and butterflies, provoking raised heads and increased heartbeats.

“Let’s stop here.” Shen Zhixian’s attitude was carelessly lazy as he raised one foot toward the stand that led to one of the pleasure boats. He pulled out his folding fan and snapped it open, then waved it lazily toward his face. As an elegant young master, no matter how intensely hot or bitterly cold the temperature, he ought to have a folding fan in his hand. This was integral to portraying the image of elegance and distinction.

Yan Jin’s pursed his lips and followed behind him without a word, his gaze fixed on Shen Zhixian and no one else.

“Come...arrange a private room for this young master. Find some exquisite beauties to pour wine and some to sing and dance.”  When the original Shen Zhixian was young and came out to practice, he came upon this place by chance. Shen Zhixian followed the memory, and while walking with familiarity, he instructed the servant waiting upon them.

Then, he casually pulled out several silver pieces and a silver banknote.

The servant looked at the money several times, quietly glanced at the amount on the silver banknote, and burst with joy. Beaming widely, she immediately led the way. “Two Young Masters, please come…”

Shen Zhixian slightly paused half a step and waited until Yan Jin came up next to him. He pulled Yan Jin’s sleeve and gestured for him to look at the opposite pleasure boat, whispering, “See those rows of beautiful flower lanterns?”

Yan Jin glanced over, then withdrew his gaze, not saying a single word.

“This pleasure boat doesn’t have hanging lanterns, meaning it only sells art and not sexual favors,” Shen Zhixian explained. “But, that pleasure boat over there has hanging lanterns so it sells everything--When you come, don’t enter the wrong place.”

Yan Jin had tolerated and endured, tolerated and endured. But, in the end, he couldn’t hold back and said in a low voice, “Sui Xian seemed to be very familiar with this place.”

Shen Zhixian only let out an “oh” sound and, pretending not to understand his implication, smilingly pulled him into the private room that the servant had arranged for them.

The private room was very elegantly arranged, carrying a faint scent of incense. Shen Zhixian picked a seat to sit down and, seeing that Yan Jin was coming over to sit next to him, he quickly raised his hand to stop him. “Go and sit on the opposite side.”

Yan Jin paused and reluctantly sat down on the opposite chair.

The door creaked open, and ten graceful, lotus-like girls leisurely entered. The first four were empty-handed and soon divided into two to stand on either side of Shen Zhixian and Yan Jin, intending to pour wine and rub their shoulders to relax them. The rest of the women were in dance clothes and soon the dancers were positioned on the open space. They began to dance softly, creating a scene of beautiful extravagance.

Shen Zhixian had a casual and carefree smile on his face as he waved his hand to signal that the two girls should just pour wine.

He quietly glanced at Yan Jin.

Yan Jin’s mouth tightened as he silently watched the girl pour wine.

This wasn’t the girl’s first time serving such a serious guest. After all, she’d poured wine and fed people hundreds of times before. With a soft voice, she teased, “This young master’s face is so cold. It’s quite unsatisfactory. You’re not giving me face.”