65

At this time, Shen Zhixian was not the current Shen Zhixian; he was just the high spirited youth of that year.

His originally noble and easy-going youth was cut short when his splendid life became fate’s big joke, convincing him that he never was himself. That the young man Sui Xian wasn’t him.

After so many years and after experiencing so many things, he’d finally regained his complete youth.
But this young man, Sui Xian, could no longer be as easy and unrestrained as he once was. He’d lost too many things and, under the surface of his calm return, he was riddled with scars.

Shen Zhixian felt his nose go sour. His eyes were hot, and all kinds of emotions billowed in his chest, causing him to be unable to stay calm.

Yan Jin froze for a moment, then reached out and pulled him into his embrace.

Just like, long ago, when Sui Xian had embraced Little Yan Jin.

Shen Zhixian hooked his arms around Yan Jin’s waist and buried his face in his arms, listening to his strong heartbeat. He held back tears, trying to calm his emotions.

Yan Jin didn’t say a word. He’d never been good at talking and couldn’t say interesting words like what Sui Xian had spoken to Little Yan Jin. He could only do his best to give Shen Zhixian a warm hug.

Shen Zhixian didn’t know how long they stayed like that. Eventually, he drew back and was about to loosen his hold on Yan Jin and straighten up. But, at that moment, Yan Jin lowered his head and  raised his hands to cup Shen Zhixian’s face and turn it slightly upward. Then, he placed a gentle kiss on each damp corner of Shen Zhixian’s eyes.

Shen Zhixian was caught off guard. He felt Yan Jin’s hot breath on the corner of his eyes and subconsciously lifted his head. Yan Jin’s lips fell on his cheek.

His ears instantly turned red, and he hoped that, in the dim light, Yan Jin wouldn’t be able to see too clearly. He leaned back slightly, reached out to hold Yan Jin’s hands on his face, and asked, “What are you doing?”

His tone was calm, with a slight nasally sound. But Yan Jin didn’t speak. His hands went down, one arm wrapping around Shen Zhixian’s waist while the other hooked under his knees. Then, he pulled him closer and lifted him up.

Being suddenly carried princess-style, Shen Zhixian was startled and let out a sound of surprise. He subconsciously wrapped his arms around Yan Jin’s neck. “Put me down…”

Yan Jin carried him to a spot not far from the cliff and set him down there, one arm still wrapped tightly around his waist.

Shen Zhixian gazed out into the distance. Although his memory had been restored, it didn’t negate the fact that he’d tripped down the stairs and fallen to his death. He was still somewhat apprehensive of height. He glanced once down the seemingly bottomless cliff's edge and leaned back into Yan Jin’s embrace.

He could guess what Yan Jin wanted to do. Before, he’d said that he wanted to see the scenery here, but he was afraid of heights. Yan Jin probably wanted to accompany him and help him realize his little wish.

Although the dark night was fading, the stars were dim, and there was nothing much to look at, Yan Jin’s heartfelt intentions made Shen Zhixian feel a lot better.

Yan Jin raised his hand and spread his palm.

A cloud of green light emerged from his palm. Shen Zhixian froze, watching as the familiar little grass bud materialized in Yan Jin’s palm. He said, “This is also...Soul Tracing Grass?”

Yan Jin said, “mmn,” and softly added, “I’ve only recently found out.”

The meaning of his words were unclear. Shen Zhixian couldn't tell whether he’d recently just discovered that Xiao Caoya was a Soul Tracing Grass or that he’d just recovered his memory and knew something.