IMPORTANT INFORMATION

This is just to explain the Stark family a little better in case your confused.

So the Stark family dates back to to like the 1500, Leonardo Stark Elena's super great grandfather times a thousand. He lived in the 1500 and he was a perfectly ordinary human but one day he came into contact with a werewolf who was being hunted just because of his difference. Leonardo killed the hunters (they weren't the Argents) to save the werewolf who thanked him. A year after that he killed a vampire who was attacking innocent people for the fun of killing them. 

That's when Leonardo started the family business of being hunters, there's the rule book of right and wrongs. He trained his five sons and three daughter how to kill and how to fight, and ever since then the Starks have been hunters or assassins of some kind. Elena's fathers great grandfather decided to widen the family business so they allowed others to form part of the small organisation training them. 

Until it became somewhat international but still small, and it was of the utmost importance to keep it a secret.So the Stark's have their own secret organisation of some sorts it's not very big but those who are part of the organisation is loyal and well trained killers.  Elena is the new heir of the organisation, the organisation calls themselves Venator's instead of hunters because hunters sounds like they're part of the Argents which they're not. Or they are referred to as the Stark Hunters.

Venators purpose is to keep the supernatural world safe and protected from the normal one and visa versa. So they protect supernatural beings from normal humans and they protect normal humans from the supernatural as well as protect the supernatural from other supernatural beings. They don't just kill they need a reason and proof of their target being guilty or a threat otherwise they're forbidden from killing.

I hope this makes sense but please if you're confused or if you don't understand don't hesitate to ask so that I can explain it better. 

I hope you enjoy!

[Edited]