Avoiding Truth

(Elena's outfit

(Elena's outfit.)

My eyes flutter open and immediately they dart to the alarm clock on my nightstand, 9:00 reads the red letters. I sit up yawning and blinking a few times, well I guess I can't go back to sleep now, my father will get a heart attack. I could never understand what he has against me sleeping late, but oh well. I get up and head into my bathroom taking a quick shower and then dressing, I pull my hair into a side ponytail and grab my book bag before heading out. 

The forest is quiet and peaceful, I continue walking until I find a decent enough spot, I sit down on the leaf covered floor leaning my back against a tree trunk. I take out my first few books and start doing my homework enjoying the relaxing sounds of birds chirping. Everything goes smoothly until I reach art, why the bloody hell do I even have this subject. It's gonna bring me nowhere except maybe to commit suicide. The only thing worse that art is maths but at least I understand what maths importance is in the world but this?

Why should I be able to draw a dog?

I grumble slightly as I erase my fifth try on drawing the stupid dog, now don't get me wrong I love dogs but they're unreasonably hard to draw. Though maybe it's just me I mean if I draw a fish it looks more like a dogs puke. I sigh as I erase the failed attempt once again, I'm about to start again when I hear something, it's almost impossible to hear because of it's unnatural lightness but I'm sure I can hear the sound of approaching feet. I slowly reach out to my bag where one of my knives are. 

Then the source of the light totted footfalls steps into my line of sight, black jeans, black shirt, black shoes, neatly styled black hair and a black leather jacket. Guess who it is? Yes it's Pale Hale, I'm not sure what gave him away, maybe the leather jacket I dunno. Derek is looking at the ground as he walks seeming to be in deep thought, when he looks up he looks slightly startled to see me sitting here. The startled expression lasts for a full millisecond before being replaced by his trade mark emotionless face and guarded eyes.

'How many's it now?' I ask.

'Honestly I've lost count.' Derek says with a shrug. 

For the past month the two of us have continuously walked into one another every time I'm in the woods. Almost as if some invisible force is pulling us together, well that's what I would say if I believed in such stupid things as destiny, fate and all the other crap. Even though before our truce those meeting always ended in insulting and sarcasm battles it became like an underlying joke to see who runs into who the most. So that we can determine who's the bigger stalker here.

We're weird?

Nope I totally haven't noticed that.

'What're you doing?' He asks emotionlessly and nodding to my sketch book.

'Failing my arts class.' I mumble as I show him my pathetic excuse at an attempt to draw, Derek raises a brow at me.

'And that's suppose to be...?' He asks and I glare at him.

'A dog.' I say and he raises a judgemental eyebrow.

'You sure about that?' He asks and I shoot him another glare.

'Oh well you do it then if you're so brilliant.' I say and he shrugs walking over to me, he sits down next to me but thankfully not too close, I hand him the sketch book and a pencil. Whilst he's busy I start with my English project. Guess what we're doing this year.

Romeo and Juliet! 

How extremely fun. (please note the deep sarcasm in which those words we dipped.)

'There you go.' Derek says about after half an hour and he hands me the sketch pad with a smug smirk, I see and amazingly elegant and realistic sketch of a Labrador puppy staring back at me.

'No offences Stark but I think you should stick with knives and sarcasm.' Derek says a small smirk still dancing on his lips.

'Duly noted.' I say as I glare at the sketch before shoving it into my bag and continuing on with the last peace of my summery on Romeo and Juliet. Out of the corner of my eye I can see Derek deep in thought as he stares straight ahead. I could tell by the look on his face he's going to ask me about my "connection" with the Argents, I know he's going to ask questions to try and figure me out so I quickly beat him to it.

'Did you here about the driver?' I ask.

'Yes.' He answers shortly.

'When Scott finds out he-'

'Scott already knows.' Derek says cutting me off and I look up at him.

'Burst into my house last night, accused me and threatened to take me to report me to the sheriff.' Derek sums up shortly.

'Oh boy I wish I was there to see that, Scott's so hilarious in a annoying manner when he's angry.' I say thoughtfully.

'He knows about the alpha.' Derek says and I nod.

'Well it's about damn time if you ask me.' I say finishing my last sentence and closing my book, I lean my head back against the tree closing my eyes.

'You seem tired.' Derek says.

'Oh really? Thanks Hale I totally didn't realise, where would I be without you?' I ask sarcastically and I can basically hear him rolling his eyes at me.

'Insomniac remember.' I say still with my eyes closed.

'Oh how horrible your life must be.' Derek says sarcastically.

'It is thanks for noticing.' I small smirk makes it's way onto my face as I'm sure his giving me a why are you playing along with my sarcastic joke look. I bet he's not used to people playing along with is sarcasm or being sarcastic back to him.

Actually scratch that, I think he's just not used to people period.

'Your not gonna tell me are you?' Derek asks after a minute of silence I open my eyes and look at him he's not looking at me but he meets my gaze when he feels it trained on him.

'I told you to just drop it.' I say calmly, I know he's referring to me not telling him about my secret or well secrets.

'And you know I'm not going to.'

'Why not?' I ask getting annoyed once again.

'Because I know your hiding something important and frankly I haven't survived the past six years just so some girl can waltz in and kill me.' Derek says his tone cold and I glare at him.

'Well if you think I have the capability of killing you why do you deem it wise to pester me?' I ask in an equally cold tone.

'I'm not pestering you Stark, I just want to know the truth.' He says and I scoff.

'Well Hale somethings are just better left unknown.' I say as I get up grading my book bag starting to walk away.

'Why can't you just tell me?!' He asks clearly annoyed and fed up with my secrecy, I spin around to see he's also on his feet. As I speak I walk over to him until we're very close and I can feel his breath on my face.

'We'll perhaps if we trusted each other I would!' I snap looking up at him and he looks down at me coldly.

'The reason I'm still alive after all this time is because I don't trust anyone.' He says coldly his mint fresh breath hitting my face.

'Well then stop expecting me to tell you anything.' I say before spinning around and walking away.