Knives, Questions & Insults

(Elena's outfit.)

I carved makeshift targets in three of the trees in front of me before waking back to my bag full of knives, I strap my black leather fingerless gloves on before taking the first knife from the bag. I throw it at the middle tree hitting dead centre, I throw my second knife to the left tree hitting the mark and same goes for my third blade and the right tree. I continue throwing knives at the trees  making quite some damage that I probably should feel bad about. 

After retrieving my last array of knives I look at my collection trying to decide which ones to throw again. I end up choosing my favourite throwing knives they're tinted a slight bronze colour and they are slightly longer than your average throwing knives and lethally sharp. I grab ones hilt drawing back my arm, I've carved the outlines of a human into the trees and I throw the knife. It finds it's home in the man's heart. 

The second embeds itself in the man's neck and the third in their head. I'm quite satisfied with this and I walk over to the trees retrieving the first two knives, my hand rests on the hilt of the third when I hear something behind me. Without hesitation I pluck the knife from the tree whirl around and throw it. I cringe as the knife embeds itself in the person's abdomen, Derek gives me a look before plucking the blade from his stomach which is now covered in his blood. I feel bad for a full millisecond before crossing my arms and scolding.

'What the hell Hale?' I ask.

'Excuse me? You're the one who just threw me with a knife. Shouldn't you apologise?' Derek asks and I scoff.

'You're the one who decided it's a good idea to sneak up on an armed girl.' I shoot back and he scoffs.

'Yeah well luckily you have horrible aim.' He mumbles which I found to be stupid considering I have two more knives in my hand.

'Oh want to put my aim to the test?' I ask glaring at him, Derek doesn't answer he just tosses the blade into the bag with the others and looks at me with a raised brow after seeing the many blades.

'What do you want Hale?' I ask still glaring at him.

'Because if it's an apology for getting you arrested I'm not sorry at all.' I say venomously hating the way he shrugged me off like I wasn't dangerous at all.

'I'm not seeking and apology Stark, I haven't fell that low.' He says and I roll my eyes.

'Your short time in jail has dampened your insults, not that they were very good to begin with.' I say.

'You know I'm seriously becoming jealous of all the people who have the great fortune of not knowing you.' He says.

'You know I seriously want to challenge you to a battle of the wits but you're clearly unarmed.' I shoot back.

'You know I was wondering how you comb your hair so that the horns don't show?' Derek fires back and I glare at him.

'And you Hale are the reason God invented the middle finger.' I say and Derek rolls his eyes.

'Yeah keep rolling your eyes, maybe one day you'll find a brain back there somewhere, though I doubt it because it's probably smaller than a speck of dust.' 

Derek and I indulge in an intense glaring contest and I feel slightly uncomfortable under his harsh glare but I make sure not to show it. My eyes then glance at his wound and I frown when it seems to be completely healed not even scratch. He healed so quickly? My eyes flicker back up to his and I grab my knives a little tighter just in case.

'Are...are you a werewolf?' I ask and he stares at me blankly.

'I'll answer that if you tell me what exactly it is that you are.' He says and I glare at him.

'I'm human Hale it's quite a common specie and if you got out once in a while you'd know that.' I say coldly I know he's onto me and he can't find out.

'Yes and I'm human too.' He says and my eyes narrow.

'You sure about that? Because you look a lot like death wrapped up in a leather jacket.' I say and he sighs.

'Is there anything in your vocabulary other than insults?' He asks and he actually sounds tired, I pretend to ponder this, then shrug.

'Perhaps.' I say and he rubs his eyes slightly before running a hand through his black hair. 

'Well I'm tired of this fighting.' He says and turns around walking away leaving me slightly shocked.

I think back to the past month I've been in the woods every single day and every single time I've walked into Derek and it always ends with us insulting each other or being overly sarcastic. Come to think of it I don't actually hate Derek Hale, he's just never given me a reason to really  like him. But I guess I understand what he means these insult battles are becoming tiresome and for the first time ever I actually question whether I've gone to far. 

Wait why do you care? It's just Derek Hale.

True.

Oh good now that's cleared up.

But I still need to gain his trust of I'm to solve the Hale Fire case.

I though you said Screw him and that case?

I did but you know that I can't just let a case go like that.

And you know that if you want him to trust you you'll have to try trusting him yourself Elena. 

I scoff at this, why is my conscience making stupid good points again? I hate it when it does that. But I guess my conscience has a point, if I want Derek to trust me I need to show that I'm willing to trust him but the truth is I don't trust him and I'm far from willing to trust him. He has so many walls and if I'm going to break them down I myself will have to show some vulnerability otherwise it'll never happen. 

And I'm not going to make myself vulnerable for some guy.