Phone Calls

Thirty seven years later, you were sitting at your desk, twirling a pen on your finger. You smiled, remembering how angry Joseph had been when his daughter Holly also moved to Japan. He kept trying to convince you to come back, but his distaste of Japan didn't stop him from visiting.

You heard a knock on the door and moved out of your seat to go open it. Standing on your porch were Joseph and Caesar. Joseph immediately pulled you into a tight hug and twirled you around while laughing. He set you down and you wobbled a bit, slightly dizzy. You were a bit sad to see the aging Joseph, but you understood that he'd want to age at the same pace as his wife. Although, he was still a bit touchy towards you for a married man.

Next Caesar wrapped his arms around you. Due to him being committed to his Hamon training, he seemed to have barely aged at all. He looked to be in his late twenties and had a light scruff along his chin.

"Oh, my! You look even younger than before, (Y/N)!" Spoke Caesar.

You gave a small smile, "Thanks, I think."

Joseph wipes away some invisible tears. "I still can't believe you just left me in New York to go to Japan."

You folded your arms and sighed, "I talked about this with you for almost a year in advance. You had said you were fine with it then."

"I know! But that doesn't mean I actually am! I just knew I wouldn't really be able to stop you if this was what you wanted." He then paused for a moment and reached into a pocket, "I got you something, though." He pulled out a smallish bottle and handed it to you.

You turned it around in your hands, "Sunblock?"

"Yeah! I thought it could help with you going outside during daytime. That way you don't have to use an umbrella."

"Thanks, JoJo." You moved out of the way of the door frame, "So are you guys going to come in or...?" They quickly entered your house and took a seat at your couch. "You want something to drink?"

"Water is fine." Mumbled Joseph.

"Yeah, I'll just have some water. With ice, if you have any." Spoke Caesar.

You poured a few glasses of water and dropped a few ice cubes in one before passing them to your companions. "So," You elbowed Caesar softly, "Find anyone special yet?"

His cheeks tinted a light pink and he looked away from you, "Well, no. Not really. There is one person I like, but I don't think things can work out between us."

"Oh, what about your siblings? Have you come into contact with them yet?"

"Yeah, I cleared up some things with them. Quite a few of them have married and started families. We have reunions pretty regularly to stay in touch. You should come to one of them, I'm sure you'd enjoy it!"

You chuckled, "I'm sure I would. I'll have to take you up on that offer at some point."

"Hey, (Y/N)." Spoke Joseph.

"What is it?"

Joseph fidgeted with his fingers, "Do you think you could call Holly for me? I want to tell her something, but I don't want to speak to her husband if he answers the phone."

"Oh, sure. I guess I can. Do you want me to call right now?"

He nodded, "Yes, if it's not too much trouble."

You walked over to your phone and dialed Holly's number. The phone made a low humming sound and then there was a small click. "Hello? This is (Y/N)." There was silence on the other end. You furrowed your brows and let out a sigh, kind of annoyed that someone had picked up the phone but decided not to respond. "Yare yare daze..."