Memorization

D'Arby still loosely gripped the poker chips with your companion's sleeping faces embedded on them. His other hand was making some sort of peace sign salute. "As long as you don't decide to abandon those two and run away with your tails between your legs, we should be getting on to our next game."

Caesar shook silently in his rage, no longer someone who rushes forward when angry. Avdol, on the other hand, practically dove at the gambler, grabbing him by the collar yet again, "You bastard!"

The enemy let out a huff as his back was slammed into the floor, "You never learn, do you? If you kill me, these two souls will die as well."

Avdol rose a fist to punch him, but you gently grabbed his hand, "Please, calm down Muhammad."

The bartender raised his voice, "Hey! If you're going to make trouble, I'll have to ask you to leave!"

"Shut it! Stay out of this!" Yelled back Jotaro.

The man's posture straightened instantly, "Yes, sir!"

Jotaro lifted the filled glass off the table and let out a gasp before dumping out the liquid and coins so he could better look at the bottom. His furious glare was quickly aimed at the gambler on the floor.

D'Arby laughed, "You realized it too late, Jotaro."

Avdol looked at the high school student, "Is there something wrong with the glass?"

"This is how one more coin went in. There was a tiny bit of chocolate on the bottom of the glass's outside. Before they started the game, he asked to inspect the glass and coins, he must have stuck it on just after."

It all clicked inside Caesar's head, "I see. He used a small piece to make a barely noticeable tilt. He moved to a different spot so the chocolate would melt from the light of the sun and let the surface tension become equal again. It is admittedly quite clever."

"I believe you're aware that if it's not discovered in time, you can't call it cheating." D'Arby pushed Avdol aside.

You gave the bar of chocolate a kick, sending it to glide against the tiles, "Damn it. I shouldn't have given it back to him."

The gambler stood up, dusting himself off before placing a hand on your shoulder, smirking all the while, "Oh, don't beat yourself up over it. You couldn't have known."

You brushed his hand aside, "Then let's go again. This time, with poker."

Avdol was shocked, "(Y-Y/N)!"

D'Arby raised an eyebrow, "Oh? How interesting! Poker is one of the games I'm best at!"

"Poker?" Continued Avdol, "This man just beat Mr. Joestar! I-It's too dangerous! Don't do this, (Y/N)!"

Caesar shook his head, "No, if anyone should play against him, it's (Y/N)."

You nodded along with the Italian's words, "Plus, I've beaten Joseph numerous times." Caesar and Jotaro moved Joseph's body into a chair near Polnareff's. You took the now empty seat and D'Arby sat across from you. He took out a sealed deck of cards and tossed it over to you. You caught it with one hand, swiftly breaking the seal as you removed its contents.

It was at that moment that Kars got to work, memorizing every scratch, scuff mark, indentation, and fingerprint being made on each individual card as you spread them face up across the table. Every minute detail was etched into the mind of the ultimate being, as new ones were made with each contact they received.

You spoke, "There's one joker. I don't see anything unusual. They're ordinary playing cards." D'Arby flipped through the pages in a book while you smooshed the cards back into a neat stack.