A Small Conversation

"So it's goodbye to Canada, eh?" I heard the voice coming from my dashboard and smiled. I had never told anyone why I liked taking long drives out on the back roads, most times ending up at one of the beaches a few hours away, but it was a chance for me to relax. Basically my car is sentient; Cybertronian to be exact.

"For now. We'll be back Knockout." It was always nice having some else in the car, even if that person was the car. I had received this gift after helping a unit of the government, but I'm not suppose to talk about them, so that's all I will say for now. Either way, Knockout was assigned as my guardian and I was his teacher.

"So, how do you feel about going back home?" I had talked to this guy about everything, so he could tell when something was up with me just by looking at my face.

"I'm excited, but also super nervous; I'm going home to a place I haven't really been in four years, so much could be different. What if I don't fit in anymore? What if I can't catch up? What if they don't need me anymore?" I felt my seat warm up and my seat belt get a little tighter. Knockout knew that once I started down the path of 'what ifs', it was hard for me to come back. I had never really talked to anyone about it, but I did suspect that I had some level of anxiety, but when whatever it was started to get to me, Knockout would help me out.

"You'll be okay, Claire. You don't need to fit in or try to catch up with anyone, just be who you are and it will be perfect. And I think your family will always need you." How he always knew what to say was a mystery, but I had heard that this one hadn't always been so good with words.

"Thank you Knock. I will try my best." I could feel his smile, and the seat belt relaxed. The warm seat felt nice, even if the weather was getting warmer; it had becomes something that lingered for a few extra minutes after I calmed down.

I turned up the song and was happy to hear that it was one that I knew well. It was Symphony by Clean Bandit and Zara Larsson, a song that I felt worked with how my life was going.

I hoped that everything was all right at home and that they would be ready to add me back into the fire house. Goodness, I hoped I was ready to head back into that crazy island, where anything was possible and the craziest things happened.

"Hey Knock, did I ever tell you about Griffin Rock?"

"A little bit. Every time I brought it up you didn't want to talk about it, so I left it alone." That was so sweet of him, but he didn't know what I did.

"Then you have no idea what is waiting for us once we get off that ferry. I think it's time I tell you about Griffin Rock, the craziest tech advanced island in the world."