Breakfast

I must have fallen asleep in Knockout's front seat as we pulled into the Fire House because I don't remember walking up to my room. Oh well, at least I slept well.

I changed into something comfortable, cargo shorts and a light sweatshirt, with the lovely university logo on it, and started making my way downstairs.

There was a smell of eggs, toast, and bacon coming from the kitchen, and seeing that nothing smelt burnt or there was no smoke defector going off, I didn't think that Dani was making breakfast. But that was a good thing, breakfast didn't taste good burnt.

"Good morning. Did you sleep good Claire?" How Dad knew I was behind him on the stairs, I never knew, but I missed it. I woke up early, habit from having to be ready for anything, and not all my roommates had liked that.

"Really good. Did I fall asleep in my car?" I sat down and watched my dad cook, something so familiar and comforting about it.

"You did. Kade carried you up to your room and Dani made sure you were comfortable. Graham and Cody helped me bring up a few of the boxes, mostly ones that had clothing in them." I had an amazing family, they helped me without me even asking.

"Thank you. I'll unpack the rest later today. Where is my car parked?" Knockout might be mad at me, but as much as he could work around my emotions, I could work around his.

"The main hanger, top side." I knew what he meant, my car was where we pulled in, not in the bunker.

"Did Graham ever fix that Pinball game down in the bunker?" I remember hearing him say something about that a while ago, but I didn't know if he had figured it out yet.

"He did. You should ask Cody to show you it later, he loves hanging out down there." The bunker had been a place where we had played when we were little, but it lost its appeal as we got older.

"I will. Goodness, I haven't been down there in a long time." I hadn't been a lot of places in a long time. I wonder if Cody would give me a tour of the island.

"Good morning Dad. Claire." Graham came down the stairs, already holding an tablet with blue prints on it.

"Hey Graham." I knew my brother, and it seemed that him being the quiet smart kid hadn't changed.

Cody came down next, slumping down until he saw me watching, and our eyes meeting seemed to give him some energy to bound down the rest of the stairs.

He sat down next to me with a grin and I ruffled his hair. I had missed my family, but being here made everything feel better.

Dani came down, hair wet from a shower, and slipped down across from me. A smile was her greeting as she started up a conversation with Graham about her copter and how they could improve something, I wasn't really listening.

Kade walked down last, looking ready for the day. I guess the part of him that dreaded mornings had gone away, or that's what I thought until he poured himself a large cup of coffee.

Dad was the last to sit down, taking the head of the table. We started eating, enjoying the food we had been given. There was some conversation, but I got lost easily in the ups and downs.

"Do you wanna show me around later today Cody? It seems the island has changed and you know it better than the others."

His eyes lit up, and his reply was full of excitement, "Of course!"

I smiled at my little brother, but I had no idea what I was getting into.