Firework

Trigger Warnings: talks about anxiety, ?

Virgil made it to AP Astronomy with a few minutes to spare which he spent adding details to his already impressive golden retriever drawing he made in the prior class. A few minutes later the bell rang and class started. That day was a study hall since they had a test the next day. The time was for students to ask the teacher any questions they had, work on the study guide that was assigned, and study with other people. Virgil had already completed the study guide and turned it in along with studied for the test since his anxiety drove him to read through all the notes until he could recite them all by heart. Even so he took the time to read over them again, just for a refresher.

"Di Angelo, com're," the teacher called, Virgil getting up from his seat near the back and walking up to his teacher's desk.

The teacher, Mr. Greyson, was an older man in his early sixties with grey hairs, a round belly, and a broomstick mustache that made him look like a jolly and friendly grandpa. That was probably why Virgil liked him as his teacher. Mr. Greyson also knew about his anxiety and respected it, not calling on him during class and allowing him to doodle on worksheets since it was a good stress reliever.

"Yes Mr. Greyson?" Virgil said while standing in front of him.

Mr. Greyson grabbed a stack of papers off his desk and spun in his chair, handing the stack to Virgil.

"I know you're more than prepared for the test tomorrow, so could you do me a favor and take these down to the office?" said Mr. Greyson, Virgil nodding happily and skipping out the door. He silently bounced down the hall to the stairs then into the office where he gave the papers to the lady at the front desk. With a quick wave to the school councilor Virgil left the office and headed back to class that was about halfway done.

The pastel boy was taking a little bit of time, looking at the posters on the wall announcing things such as spirit week coming up, play auditions, and GSA meeting times. He was so caught up with the posters that he hadn't notice the tall figure walking out in front of him before it was too late. Virgil and the person ran into one another, Virgil falling backwards onto the floor while the other just stumbled back a bit.

"Oh my! I'm so sorry about that! I should've been looking where I was going!" Virgil scrambled up off the floor and looked at the person, taking in every single little detail about them as he did with everyone.

They were rather scruffy to say the least, wearing a black turtle neck shirt with sleeves that went up to his elbows. A denim vest was over the shirt and he saw a red tie loosely done around his neck. He also had black fingerless gloves on, ripped blue jeans that seemed to have been faded out, big heavy black combat boots, and a few pins on his vest along with some bracelets. His hair was a scruffy dark brown, like coffee, but the tips were dyed a deep blue. Black framed glasses were perched on his nose and just behind them were deep blue eyes looking down at him.

"My fault too. I wasn't looking where I was going either," he said, kneeling down and picking up Virgil flower crown that had gotten knocked off. "I believe this is yours."

"Oh, yes! Thank you," Virgil look the crown back and placed it on his head.

"Are those pansexual colors?" the tall person asked, pushing up his glasses.

"Yup!" Virgil said while popping the 'p'.

"Are you pansexual? If it's not too personal," the person readjusted their strap of the backpack hang on their shoulder.

"Oh not at all. I'm actually panromantic and homosexual," smiled Virgil, "Also, where are my manners? Hi, I'm Virgil."

"Logan" the person stuck out their hand and Virgil shook it.

"So, where are you going Logan?" Virgil messed with his sleeves as he remembered that he needed to return to class.

"AP Astronomy with Mr. Greyson. Missed the first half since I was called to the principal's office for something stupid," Logan sighed.

"Well isn't that nice! I have Mr. Greyson too. We can walk there. Also you didn't miss much. Today is a study hall to prepare for tomorrow's test. As long as you have the study guide finished you shouldn't have a problem," Virgil started towards the stairs with Logan walking by his side.

"Fine with me,"

The two walked in silence which Virgil was grateful for. He didn't know how he had been able to keep the conversation going for that long. Social interaction was always terrifying to him, which is probably why he only has two friends. He was lucky Logan didn't try to strike up a conversation while they walked.

They made it to class where Mr. Greyson welcomed Virgil back and Logan gave the teacher his tardy note from the principal. Virgil returned to his seat and continued to doodle, moving on from the puppy and now working on a cinnamon roll and hummingbird. Class past by quickly and before he could say 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' the bell rung and Virgil was packing his things up to head for the front of school where he would wait for Janus and Remus so they could go to lunch together. All Virgil had to do was blend in with the very large crowd and he would be okay. Hopefully they wouldn't find him that day and Virgil wouldn't have another panic attack in the bathroom.

But life was never that simple, now was it?