100 Bad Days

Trigger Warnings: ambiguous hints of angst/past trauma, mentions isolation and being alone, autophobia, mentions bullying, describes physical and verbal bullying

Virgil woke up feeling a strange numbness buzzing throughout his body. His eyelids felt abnormally heavy and it felt like needles were pricking the tiny scars above and below his lips (as weird as that sounds). A soft groan managed to escape his lips as he peeled his eyes open, blinking a few times to clear his previously blurry vision.

He then looked around, trying to see where he was because it clearly wasn't his room. To his left were machines with wires and tubes attached to them, running from the machines to his arm. Behind the machines was a window with the curtains drawn. To his right, that arm being in a cast, was a nightstand with a lamp, alarm clock, power outlet and remote for the TV hanging on the wall in front of him. There was bit of open area with a sink built into the right wall, cabinets above it and below it, three chairs along the farthest wall and a door leading out into a hallway.

"Am I in a hospital? What happened?" Virgil thought to himself, trying to remember the previous day's events.

He remembered what happened at school, the kicking and hitting and yelling. He remembered running away because it all became too much, the fear and panic took much. He remembered feeling pure fear and just wanting to curl up into a tiny ball and be forgotten by the world. He remembered wishing Logan was with him.
Then he remembered nothing.

Virgil suddenly felt very, very small and very, very alone. His chest tightened and stomach clenched, he didn't like being alone, it was dangerous for him to be isolated with his thoughts. He was aware he had autophobia, ever since he was a little child, but he hadn't felt it this bad in a while.

The last time he remembered being in a hospital, alone like this, was when he was five years old, after the car crash that killed his parents. Then he had fractured his other arm, twisted his ankle, and got a minor concussion, the two injuries that required it got simple casts. Remy hadn't been able to visit him because he'd been injured too, with a snapped right wrist and lots of glass in his right hand and arm, but his grandparents had visits, nearly everyday, and when they were released they went home with their grandparents.

Virgil shook slightly as the feeling of being completely alone set in, the numbing nothingness he felt two times, one for a few days after his parents death and one for a month after Wesley's. He needed someone there with him, he hated it. He hated being alone, isolated, gone,...forgotten.

The door to his right opened, someone coming inside. They appeared to be a nurse who smiled warmly at Virgil.

"Good morning Mr. di Angelo. I'm Nurse Tyler, but I'm also a therapist. How're you feeling?" they asked, walking over with a clipboard and checking the machines on his left after rounding the bed.

"Alone," he muttered.

"Well you're not anymore. Other than that how're you feeling? Anything hurt or feeling painful?" Nurse Tyler asked, sitting on a chair to Virgil's left.

"No, not really. Except my scars, above and below my lips, were singing a bit. What happened?" said Virgil.

"You were in a car accident yesterday. The impact of the car caused internal bleeding so you had to go through surgery. Your other injuries are a broken arm, concussion, and five fractured ribs," explained Nurse Tyler.

"That sounded like a terrible 12 Days of Christmas parody," smiled Virgil, Tyler smiling too.

"Yeah, I guess it does. Now Virgil, I understand you've just woken up and you might need some time, but can you remember what was happening yesterday before the accident?"

"Yes, I do remember. I was at school helping out with the make-up for the play. I had left to get paper towels for a nail polish spill. On my way back, uhm.." Virgil trailed off, not sure if he should tell someone what's been going on.

"It's okay, Virgil. I'm just trying to get your story of what happened. The only people I'm going to tell is the doctor and your school principal. I can tell other people if you want me too, but if not then it stays between us," said Tyler.

"O-okay," Virgil said with a small sigh, "I was on my way back when three boys in my grade stopped. I guess what they did could be classified as bullying, since they shouted a lot and hit me some. I ran away after a bit, running out of the school as they chased me. I guess I ran into the road because the last two things I remember were fear, and wishing I was with my boyfriend."

"Alright. Who were the people hurting you and how long has this bullying been happening?" Nurse Tyler asked, writing on his clipboard.

"Chris Anderson, John Lockewood, and Zavier Fisher. And uh, about two years. It started in junior year of high school," answered Virgil, nervously playing with the hospital sheets on his bed.

"What were the ways they bullied you. You mentioned hitting and shouting," continued Nurse Tyler.

"Uhm, we'll they would call mr names, yell and shout at me that has led to a lot of panic attacks, sometimes Chris -the main guy- would hit, kick, punch, push, and slap me. The other two would sometimes join in," said Virgil, feeling a shiver go up his spine.

"Mhm, and we noticed that you had quite a few scars on you, were those from the bullying?"

"Most were, yes. Some were from before I could remember, like my lips, and some were from my ex-boyfriend," Virgil agreed.

"We're any of them self-inflicted?" Tyler gestured to his own arms with the pen.

"No," Virgil said, maybe too quickly, or loudly, but he didn't want to linger on the question.

"Alright. Thank you for answering Mr. di Angelo," said Tyler, standing up.

"Wait! Please don't go. I-I don't want to be alone," Virgil said, his voice getting quieter on the last sentence.

"Alright. I'll stay here until your brother and friends arrive. They were very worried about you last night," Tyler sat back down, pulling a leg over the other so he looked like a 'twink' as Remus would call them.

"I can imagine. What time is it?" Virgil asked.

"7:53 a.m., so I can imagine them getting here within the next hour since they seemed pretty desperate to see you," smiled Tyler.

"Yeah. Some of them are pretty overprotective, especially my brother," giggled Virgil.

Virgil and Tyler did end up talking until the others arrived, another nurse coming to tell them that Remy and Emile were there so Tyler took his leave and Remy went in.

Imma tell y'all now that the next chapter gets deep. Like, really deep. Mariana Trench deep.

Hope y'all like a truck loaf of angsty, specifically di Angelo brothers angst (yeah Remy isn't safe in this story. He gets his own angst, as a treat)