A Game of Cards

Deku hands Skeptic a flash drive. "Here you are the complete restructuring of the Liberation Front. Look at the other information on the drive as well, it's important."

"Are you sure it will work? It seems counter-intuitive to what the building is designed for," Skeptic points out. He already received a quick outline of Deku's emergency plan and couldn't agree to it.

"I understand what you're thinking but since Shigaraki is in charge you're gonna have to have some faith, whether you want to or not," Deku replies as Skeptic grinds his teeth a little in annoyance.

"What're you guys talking about," Hawks says as he casually walks over to the two of them.

"Just figuring out who belongs under which lieutenant," Deku quickly replies before Skeptic could say anything.

"Oh, and how many people did you put under yourself?" Hawks joked.

"None, I'm just my own group," Deku replied.

Hawks shrugged knowing he would figure out the Liberation's structure in the coming weeks. "Well if you got some time why not come with me for a bit."

"I still got lots to do," Deku stated as he started walking away from him.

"Well I need him for a bit - please help me!" Twice yells bolting around the corner.

"Of course," Hawks says politely, "what do you need help with?"

"I still don't understand any of the Destro stuff - I don't want to seem like an imbecile in front of everyone!" Twice says.

"He has lots of time I'm sure he'll help you," Deku interjects as he starts walking off.

"Even Twice is learning the ways of Destro, since you're apart of the organization you should too. It would also help with the hostility some people have for you," Skeptic commented.

"Shigaraki being the leader is the only reason I'm even helping, I'm used to people not liking me for being quirkless anyway," Deku said brushing off Skeptic.

A few hours later Deku and Eri were in a large room playing with a deck of cards. "Have any threes?" Eri asked.

"Go fish, got any sevens?"

Eri's face puffs out a little as she hands Deku a seven, "how do you keep winning, are you cheating?"

Deku lets out a small chuckle "I just remember each number you ask me, it lets me know what cards you're holding."

Eri thinks about it for a moment. "So if I don't think you have any cards of mine should I ask for a card I don't have?"

"Now that's thinking outside the box, I dunno if it's in the rules to do that but it's a brilliant idea," Deku smiled and patted her on the head.

Mr. Compress and Spinner walk through the door prompting Eri to start waving her arms at them. "So this is where you snuck off to Deku," Mr. Compress comments.

"I spent two weeks organizing so don't you complain," Deku said.

"It's weird being in charge of a large number of people," Spinner commented.

"Why did you pair me with such an annoyance," Toga yelled as she opened the door. "Oh, you guys are here too."

"Were only worth an 'Oh, you guys' that's a bit cruel," Mr. Compress said.

"I thought it was only Deku and Eri in here. More importantly, why did you pair me with that Skeptic guy? The way he rambles isn't endearing at all." Toga whined.

"It was purely based on skills, you're good at infiltrating and gathering information, Skeptic is good at compiling it," Deku stated.

"If you don't like it then don't go," Dabi entered the room and immediately took the first seat closest to the door.

"If Deku made the arrangements then it must be important," Toga hissed a bit kicking Dabi's chair.

"Yea, yea," Dabi waved her off.

Eri who was silently listening to everyone found their conversation boring, "let's play a game," She said eagerly holding the deck of cards.

"I don't play kids games," Dabi replied.

"Just deal him in he'll play," Deku stated.

Once everyone gathered around the table and the cards were dealt Toga, who was beside Dabi, reached over to grab one of Dabi's cards only for his hand to slam on the cards. "What do you think you're doing?"

"I thought you weren't gonna play," Toga teased.

Dabi clicked his tongue and picked up his hand as he began to play the game with others looking reluctant to do so. "Now you won't have any excuse when you lose," Deku called out.

"Just play," Dabi stated.

"Hey, no cheating!" Spinner angrily said to Dabi.

"Quit having your hand so far away from you then, not my fault if you're showing me your cards," Dabi replied.

Spinner moves away from Dabi only to be pushed back my Mr. Compress. "I don't want you to accidentally look at my cards either."

"Would you just play already!" Toga said.

The game went along as to everyone's misfortune Dabi was the winner. "Heh, see children's game just aren't interesting."

"Sorry for being a kid," Toga and Eri stuck out their tongues at him.

"You guys done with your game?" Hawks askes as he walked into the room as everyone else was leaving.

"I thought you were helping Twice with the Destro book," Deku commented.

"I was but he's reviewing some notes. I wanted to talk to you about something Deku," Hawks said motioning his head outside the room.

Deku walked out of the room and followed Hawks until they were alone. "What's this about?" Whenever Deku was alone with Hawks he would always feel on edge.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go on patrol with me."

Deku stared dumbfoundedly at Hawks as Hawks gave of his usual smile. "Going to need some context."

"When the Liberation Front takes control of the country people will be able to freely use their quirks. It won't mean the end of heroes, however, since not everyone has a quirk strong enough to defend themselves. I figured once everything is done you'll need a job doing something and maybe being a hero in a new era would be good for you."

"This is either a trap, or you've gone insane being with Twice."

"I'm serious, we can forge some quick documents claiming you're a sidekick and patrol a nearby town. We'll have to make sure you're face and hair are covered but I think it'll work."

"Hawks, there is no way I would ever want to be a hero anymore."

"Just becasue someone destroyed your dream doesn't mean it's gone, think about it." Hawks smiled and started to walk away as Deku returned to the room.

As he walked away Hawks took a deep breath and thought things through. There were those within the League who were kind people forced into tough situations. If he could win them over and offer them a better future perhaps his mission could become a huge success.

Deku, on the other hand, figured it must be some kind of trap. He wasn't sure whether he should just ignore it or spring the trap and show that his feelings about Hawks were right.

----------------------