Looking Back

"You three should continue the patrol since I still have some things to talk about with Endeavor," Hawks knew this was a risky situation, Deku already distrusted him greatly and even being alone with Endeavor could be viewed negatively. 

In agreement, Endeavor chased away Bakugo and Todoroki with Deku following behind. They stood on either side of the villain and walked with him a couple of blocks. No one spoke to each other as the atmosphere worsened with every step, Bakugo was getting twitchy and Deku was becoming irritated with the blonde. Deku turned a corner down an alley while the two boys stopped at the entrance, Deku walked in further before turning around and facing them.

"So, what happens now?" Deku got right to the heart of the problem. He was a villain who was with the number two hero.

Bakugo wanted to shout everything on his mind but knew Deku would only answer things convenient for himself. Todoroki was the one who decided to answer, "do you plan to join us?"

"I'm sure I would love to go to prison for all the crimes I've committed. I would like you to join us, but seeing you with your father means you've gotten over some of your issues," with a sigh Deku shook his head and glanced back at Bakugo.

"What's your plan this time, murder more people connected to All Might so you can continue your petty vengeance?" Bakugo knew Deku killed Togata and Nighteye becasue they were there. Had it been anyone else the result would've been the same, though the fact they had connections to All Might couldn't be ignored.

"It's already over a year since that day, huh. Being a hero, even for a little while, really puts things in perspective," Deku gained a lot of experience acting like a hero, but fulfilling his old dream also brought memories back of the time with All Might on the roof.

"What are you blabbering on about now?" Bakugo couldn't tell if this conversation had a point or if it was more mockery.

"Talking to myself," Deku's body shifted as he took out one of the metal rods and turned it into a shield. Step by step he started backing further into the alley.

"Where are you going?"

"I've decided to not stay around you heroes any longer. I'm not sure when you'll try to capture me, so I've decided to leave first."

"I can't let you just walk off like that!" Bakugo could allow Deku to be with Hawks, but he couldn't allow him to escape.

As Bakugo tried to rush in closer, Deku pulled out the other rod and turned it into a spear thrusting at Bakugo. Bakugo quickly uses his quirk to propel himself back as Deku used his greaves to extend the length of the spear, nearly stabbing Bakugo. Since the fight already started, Todoroki sought to end it quickly and used his ice to capture Deku. A thick wall of ice filled the alleyway as Deku had no time to dodge. Deku was well aware of Todoroki's abilities, and with the greaves removed, was able to Overhaul the ice and use it against Todoroki.

The water became shards of ice propelling up from the ground, forcing Todoroki to use his flames to remelt the ice. With the flames blocking Todoroki's vision, Deku raised his shield and stabbed his spear forward. Bakugo quickly pulled Todoroki back as the spear only pierced his costume. Bakugo puts his hand on his gauntlet and prepares to fire an explosion into the alley. Deku raises his shield and prepares himself, once the explosion goes off Bakugo would likely use One For All and close in to capture him.

Feathers are shot into the alley knocking Bakugo's hand away from the gauntlet and restraining Deku. More feathers quickly follow lifting Deku in the air and pulling him away, "sorry but I can't let you have him," Hawks stated, flying off with Deku and waving goodbye to the students.

Bakugo could only watch, feeling angered with himself for letting Deku slip away again. "We had to let Deku go," Endeavor stated as he walked up behind Bakugo.

"Why? He's a dangerous person and he somehow has a different quirk, what could be more important than capturing him when we had the chance?"

Endevaour shook his head, "I'm afraid that information is classified."

As Endeavour tries to explain the situation without revealing too much, Deku was being carried by Hawks' wings.

"I was curious if you'd save me or if this was a trap," Deku relaxed, letting the feathers carry him.

Hawks let out a strained laugh "you were testing my loyalty to the Liberation Front?"

"Of course, I believed you were gonna hand me over to Endeavour."

When they finally arrived back at the Liberation Front headquarters, Deku removed the hero uniform as quickly as he could and put on his old suit. He headed to a special room within the building that only the League of Villains used. Deku collapsed on the couch as thoughts about heroes and himself flowed through his mind.

It's been over a year since the incident with All Might on the roof. What the hero said shattered his world, and it spiraled into a deep depression. He couldn't think straight as Bakugo's and All Might's words echoed in his head. Now that Deku's life was much better, the events from a year ago seemed childish. Without depression clouding his vision, he asked himself why he wanted to be a hero. If it was to save lives many other jobs could do it, he could've become a police officer like All Might suggested. The only reason he wanted to be a hero was the same reason for his fascination with heroes, All Might.

He wanted to be like All Might, but what did that even mean? If he wanted to prove he could be a hero, then why didn't he learn to build support items and use them. He could learn self-defense and prove he could fight without a quirk. Instead, he focused on a notebook that analyzed everything about heroes. He who put no effort into becoming a hero becasue he was quirkless, became distraught when his idol told him the same thing. The reason he wanted to be a hero was to be famous like All Might, that shallow feeling that inspires children and pushes down those unable to fit in.

He suddenly laughed to himself, "I'm such a fool."

"I found you!" Eri yelled opening the door.

Deku's thoughts were interrupted by the little girl running up to him with Toga not far behind. "You really are a fool, not letting us know you've arrived."

"Oh, I said that out loud?" Deku smiled as he leaned up, even if he could go back and change that day he wouldn't. To him, these days with everyone were better than almost any day before this.