Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter thirty-five

It had been more than two months since Ayaansh took his first steps. Now he would be seen walking around in the house with his little squeals and screams.

After that awkward encounter between Sahil and Srishti, both had avoided each other like a plague but eventually because of Ayaansh they had to face the other.

Time had been flying, it seemed, as Ayaansh was already nine months old. He was growing up way too fast and it didn't quite sit well with his Daddy Malhotra as well.

Srishti had once overheard him talking to Ayaansh when he thought she was not around.

"You are growing up way too fast buddy. Can you stop? I mean I know you have to grow up and stuff but honestly growing up is such a trap. I wish I could stop this." He grumbled and Ayaansh giggled at his father who smiled in return.

She knew he was just having fun with their son but something was missing. His words had left her in deep thoughts and she couldn't help but wonder about his family.

Another day when Aditya had been playing with Ayaansh, she couldn't stop her laughter because of his goofiness. She had also noticed the strained relationship between him and Zevah but didn't really got time to ask any of the two about it.

She sighed and looked at the time, it was past ten at night and Sahil still wasn't home. Ayaansh was sleeping in his crib but she didn't understand why was she waiting for him?

Was she starting to behave like a wife already?

She heard the door open and knew he was home. Few minutes later, he entered the room and his eyes first landed on Ayaansh's crib. A smile formed on his face and he looked at her but soon his poker face was back. Srishti made a bad face and said nothing as he proceeded towards the bathroom to freshen up.

"Mr. Malhotra, can I ask you something?" She spoke as he walked out of the bathroom after twenty minutes. Sahil looked at her and raised his eyebrows before settling beside her on the bed.

Oh yes, she was still staying in his room with his but solely and solely for Ayaansh. She couldn't just take him away from his father and she couldn't even keep him in a separate room.

"What is it?" He asked looking at her and she nervously glanced around the room before her eyes landed on him.

"Where─where are your parents?" She stuttered and his face remained stoic. She swallowed as he didn't reply even after a few minutes.

"Mr. Malhotra ─"

"Have I ever asked you about your life or your parents? Have I ever interfered in your life?" The question was simple and she was tongue tied.

"I haven't. So I expect the same from you." The bluntness in his tone made her flinch and she looked away not saying a word. It hurt, true but he was right in his place.

No one spoke anything after that and both of them slept with their back towards each other.

It was around three in the midnight when Srishti woke up hearing Ayaansh's cries. She hurriedly moved towards his crib and picked him up, patting his back and rocking him to calm him down. It didn't work and he wasn't hungry either.