Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter forty-three

"Zevah, please listen to me for once. I know how I put it was wrong but I swear my intentions are only good. You think I'm pitying you but I just want to protect you." Aditya sighed as they sat in his car which was parked outside the orphanage.

Zevah kept looking out of the window because she still wasn't convinced. Aditya sighed and held her hand which was lying on her lap.

"Zevah, I like you very much. I don't know if I would ever be able to make you understand what I feel for you in words but I can't see you in pain. And I certainly can't see you with anyone else." His jaw clenched at the thought of her marrying any other man.

Zevah looked at him and her gaze softened. She gave his hand a squeeze which made him turn his head.

"Aditya, I─I like you as well. But do you think that only liking is necessary for a relationship to work? What if some years down the line, we cannot take each other's presence anymore or what if we realise that we are not made for each other. What then?" She was worried for many things and now that they were talking it out, she was going to address all of her problems.

For Aditya, he was long gone when he heard the first line itself. She liked him back? Fuck! Was he dreaming or she really just confessed to him?

"Aditya, are you listening." She was annoyed seeing the stupid grin on his face. Here she way discussing some serious issues with him and he was grinning like a fool.

"What did you say?" He asked not able to believe it. He felt like a was daydreaming and needed to hear it again.

"Are you listening?" She repeated dumbly and he shook his head.

"No, before that?" He was getting impatient and she was growing irritated.

"Aditya, whaa ─" She stopped abruptly realising what he was aiming at and her cheeks warmed instantly. She looked away trying to hide her blush but he was not having it as he titled his head to look at her face.

"Zevah?" Aditya whispered and she shut her eyes and bit her lip, feeling shy all of a sudden.

"Zevah, please!" He whined this time not able to take her silence. She was seriously testing his patience when it was already running low.

Zevah was smiling to herself and hearing his desperate tone, she wanted to tease him some more. So composing herself and hiding her smile she looked at him with a serious face.

"What is it, Aditya? I was just saying that you liking me isn't enough for a marriage to work." She said without any traces of humor on her face.

Aditya stared at her face for long and could only blink in response. Is that what she said? Then why did he hear her say that?

Zevah wanted to laugh at the lost look on his face but controlled herself.

"But I heard something else." He grumbled and she raised her eyes at him.

"Forget it." He twisted his lips and frowned at the road ahead. She smiled and shook her head before chuckling to herself.

"Aditya," She called him but he refused to look at her still frowning. She tried again, tapping his shoulder but he just shrugged her off.