Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter thirty-eight

What? How? When? Why can't he remember it?

He blinked his eyes several times to clear the image before him but it just won't go away. He felt a tug on his pants and found Ayaansh grinning up at him. Without waiting for another second, he picked him up and again looked at her.

"Is that real? But how?" He questioned Ayaansh in a quiet voice who just looked at his father and then his mother who was sleeping on the bed.

Sahil watched as Srishti slept on the bed, on her back but that is not what caught his attention. It was the slight bump which had him speechless. She wore one of his shirts and the blanket only so much covered her legs.

Her belly was slightly protruding and her face had frowns. She was not pregnant in the morning then how?

"Sahil?" Her strained voice reached his ears and his eyes snapped up. She was frowning as she stared at him and he absolutely looked clueless.

"What's wrong?" She asked before her face contorted in pain and she kept a hand on her belly.

"What's wrong with you? How are you pregnant again without me doing anything?" The words were out of his mouth even before he could think them through. Srishti's face went blank and she blinked her eyes few times before giving him a are-you-crazy-look.

He pointed at her belly and she followed his gaze and realised what he meant. Not two seconds later she was laughing loudly clutching her stomach but winced in the end. Sahil waited till she finished laughing and stood there with Ayaansh in his arms.

"Come here and touch your child." She mocked still snickering and he frowned walking towards her.

Squinting his eyes he carefully watched her belly and she hid her smile. He was being silly. Ayaansh wiggled to get down and he put him on the bed before getting back to his work.

"Sahil, really? You're so dumb." She laughed taking out the water bag from beneath her clothes and showing it to him. He looked blank but then her laugh distracted him and he couldn't help but smile at his own stupidity.

Ayaansh clapped his hands getting excited seeing his mother laughing and father smiling.

"Ah okay, please don't make me laugh more. It seriously hurts." She winced clutching her stomach and he could see she was in pain. He knew she was on her periods and it was a difficult time for her but never knew it was this painful.

Srishti groaned as another cramp hit her and she rolled onto her side to somehow bear it. Her periods were always the worst and she couldn't even get out of the bed or eat anything for the first three days atleast.

"Do you need anything?" Sahil asked seeing her biting her lips hard and the way she curled into a ball to stop the pain. She looked ready to cry and it was for the first time Sahil Malhotra saw Srishti Malhotra so weak and pale.

"Just ─please refill this bag with hot water." She ground out and he nodded taking the bag and moving out of the room.

Ayaansh crawled closer to her and caressed her face, staring at her while Srishti opened her eyes and smiled faintly at her baby.