Lalalove

Jessi and I made our way downstairs where we were greeted by a staff member who escorted us towards the dining room. When we entered, I was surprised to see that all the members were already seated and cheerfully conversing among themselves. Well, almost all of them.

Johnny was the first to notice our presence. He cleared his throat, catching the attention of those around him and thus towards us as well. The only thing keeping the room from falling silent was the sudden chorus of soft scraping sounds emitted from the men's chairs as they all stood up to greet us.

Jeno pulled out a chair for Jessi to sit in next to the head of the table while the staff member who escorted us did the same for me. As we sat down, so did everyone else. There was only one empty chair remaining next to where Jessi and I sat across from one another. I didn't have to look around the room to know who the empty chair belonged to.

I kept my head forwards unsure of what to do. Nobody was speaking and I didn't want to be the one to break the silence.

I quickly looked around the table. A mixture of concerned and bored faces stared back.

Next to Jessi was a very anxious red head who greatly juxtaposed the disinterested medic sitting next to me. I turned towards him expectantly yet Winwin only continued to look forward.

I didn't know what I was hoping for, "Are you okay?" "How are you feeling?" or even just a simple "Hello," would have sufficed. Anything that would let me know whether I could consider him an ally. What I was met with instead was apathetic indifference.

"If I wanted to attend a funeral setting, I would have visited my husband's grave. Seriously, what's with this solemn mood?" Jessi marveled, poking fun at the intensity that dominated the room's aura.

"I'm sure they're all just waiting for you to tell them one of your stories, mother."

Everyone turned towards the sudden voice to see the head of the estate as he approached the table. Once again, the members of NCT stood up. Even I was about to stand up until Winwin placed a hand on my shoulder queuing that it was not my place to stand. I felt a tinge of reassurance from the unanticipated gesture though it didn't do much to ease me otherwise.

"You may be seated," The man announced.

I felt an alarming amount of anxiety from the room's newest occupant, but that didn't stop me from blatantly staring at him as he made his way towards the head of the table.

His rose gold locks, which had been fading more and more with each day, had been replaced by a light shade of natural brown similar to that of a chestnut. It was styled in its usual fashion; pushed back and out of his eyes, with not a strand out of place. His attire, while not as formal as it was the night of the performance, still gave off an air of aristocratic poshness. A black button up tucked into black slacks held up by a black belt. Not exactly something the average son would wear to have dinner with his mother, though this was far from the average family get together and Jaehyun was far from the average man.

Jaehyun smirked, aware of the eyes that were on him.

"It's good to see you, mother." He asked as he bent down to give his mother a kiss on the cheek.

"It's good to see you too, especially since you've finally gotten rid of that ridiculous pink hair of yours."

Jaehyun gave an honest laugh in response to his mother's words.

"Please excuse me for not being able to welcome you myself. I had some business I needed to attend to."

"Oh no, it's fine. It gave me a chance to spend some alone time with the lovely Y/N, here." She responded, gesturing towards me from across the table.

Jaehyun hummed in response, having fixed his gaze onto me.

"Am I to assume that your first meeting was a pleasant one?" He asked, flashing his charming smile.

Though his expression was what one would expect from that of a loving fiancé, I knew the true meaning of his words.

"I'd say it was more than pleasant. Y/N is a well-rounded young lady with the kind of spark you don't see much of nowadays. I must say I'm a little suspicious."

"Hm? What on earth do you mean?" Jaehyun asked, keeping his cool.

"You're not being held hostage are you, dear?" Jessi asked as she turned towards me.

My breathing hitched and I instinctively looked up at Jaehyun who seemed just as surprised by the question as I was.

I opened my mouth to reply but Jessi beat me to the cut.

"I mean how else could you find someone to put up with your snappy temperament," She snickered.

Several of the table's occupants, began to laugh awkwardly, Jaehyun and I included.

"As always, mother, your humor is second to none," Jaehyun said, leaving his mother's side to take his place at the table.

"And how is my little mouse?" He asked reaching a hand towards mine.

Before I could think better of it, I quickly withdrew my hand from his.

Big mistake.

Realizing what I had done, my eyes flickered between Jessi's furrowed brows and Jaehyun's menacing glare.

"Honey, not in front of everyone." I whined, doing my best to make a cute but bashful expression.

Jaehyun's threatening stare swiftly turned into one of bewilderment. His eyes only left mine once Jessi began to laugh whole heartedly.

"Oh, you don't have to act shy in front of me, dear. I know how kids are when they're engaged," Jessi insisted.

I smiled at her and looked to Jaehyun who nodded in approval. He held his hand over the lower half of his face to hide the smirk that wouldn't seem to leave his lips.

<><><>

Dinner lasted around an hour. Jessi took turns asking each of the members questions and simply catching up with one another. I was happy to listen to them all talk about things not having to do with me since it meant less chances for me to mess up. The liquor that lingered in my bloodstream granted me a bit of comfort though it did little to protect me from the unease that came from Jaehyun's constant stare.

When dinner was finished and everyone was dismissed, I stood up only to be pulled back down by an abrupt hand. I turned towards the hand's owner.

Jaehyun didn't say anything. He instead waited for everyone to leave the dining room including the staff whom he waved away.

Once it was just the two of us, Jaehyun stood up, throwing his napkin onto his plate.

"Training starts at 5 a.m. Get there early if you have to, just don't be late. I don't think you want to know what will happen if you make me wait."

He began to walk away from the table, leaving me behind. Once he reached the door, he paused.

"You should wear something blue. The color suits you."

I stared blankly at the now empty doorframe.

"Something blue?" I echoed, staring down at the baby blue dress.