Chapter 37

Christopher was taken aback. "What?" He asked again, "That man is my father, that man is why I have faced all the hardships in my life. And that man is the reason why my mother never did achieved her dreams of becoming world best neurosurgeon. That is why I tried to fulfil her dreams," Pia mumbled. His hold tighten over her hand.

"What has happened? How your mother gotten this bad?" He asked. "It was my mother's first year and he was called as guess lecturer. My mother always was an avid reader and she also loved to researched over her free time." "So, she is your exact copy" Pia laughed. "You do like to read me as your pass time don't you Mr. Woodland, anyways, he gave his lecture as scheduled and she liked it. But she questioned him a lot which annoyed him because some answers he didn't know exactly."

"Yes, I get how he must have felt you did question me a lot and this story awfully sounds like our own." Christopher said. "You are quite observant too Roy, it was quite similar to ours. One day they had a difference of opinion over things and that too in front of the medical board of the collage. He felt humiliated when they accepted her judgement over his about a patient. While she wasn't even qualified to be a doctor yet. Somehow it didn't settled well with my father" She said. "And you know this how? Did your mother told this?"

"She is my mother Roy, I know she will not lie to me. And if you are thinking she told me this story then no, she wasn't the one. I happen to attend the same Medical Collage my mother did once and the teachers told me when she said she was very promising student, I believe them." 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. It is just..." Christopher struggled to find the right words. "When I asked her once why she doesn't gets out of this all she said "I know why I had to face that fate, because I wasn't deserving enough. Everyone had to make some sacrifices to keep a relationship. But she wasn't very keen on doing the same that is why she deserve that," Christopher was speechless.

"She deserved his love after what he did to her. He decided to end her career very cruel way. He proposed marriage to her family. They agreed. She was just turned eighteen just given her first year's papers. She was overjoyed how well the exam went when this all happened. Just because that man cannot accept that he can be wrong." Pia said. "He forbade her from going to medical college, forbade her from doing everything she loved but to serve him as a wife." There was a bitterness lingered in her voice that Christopher can very well taste.

"Then she became pregnant with me. She decided that she will fulfil her dreams through me. But as soon as my father saw my face, he took off. Her in laws weren't very forgiving though. They blamed my mother for everything. They blamed my mother for birthing me. A girl, because girls are still very much considered a burden. And my father wanted a son so that he can continue his linage. She was barely able to keep with all that when one day they forcefully sent her with a man with not so good intentions towards us. I was just two then." She said.

Christopher hugged her closer listening to her silently. "They had sold my mother and me to a brothel, Royce, I saw it all which a child shouldn't. it isn't a place for children to grow up. It wasn't a place for a little girl like me to be. My mother was beautiful, she was so beautiful, once she had light in her life but then... then it all went black. Darkness was the only thing that had left in her life and mine." Pia said.

"How old were you? When you saw it?" He asked. "Five, I was just five and they didn't even spare me. I used to dance for the customers, so that they don't just hurt my mother. And one of them had a kind heart. So, he offered to take us away permanently. He was fond of my mother. It was just few days of peace, till his wife found out and threw us out at middle of the night in the street. My mother somehow salvaged some money and tried to find my father. But he declined even knowing her. He called her a backward person with no class. He humiliated her and threatened her that if she approached him again, he will not spare her at all. Nor he will spare me." Pia eyes watered thinking about all that.